For about two weeks now, I've been having an odd issue with my computer. It will be running fine for awhile, and then it will suddenly freeze for anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute at a time, and then start working again. I've been told that this is called hanging. Searching the internet for the cause of my issue hasn't worked very well, hence why I made an account to post here. If this is in the wrong spot, please let me know. I wasn't quite sure where to post, as I don't know what's causing my issue.
- Used the Windows harddisk-check-thing. No errors.
- Used Memtest. No errors after 4 passes.
- Checked core temperatures. Never goes over 40C, even when the hanging occurs.
- Have Task Manager open to check CPU usage. Never goes over 20%, even when the hanging occurs.
- Physical Memory usage is at a constant 40%.
- Still have 20GB of free space on my C: drive, and 663 GB free on my F: drive.
- Ran multiple malware, spyware and virus tests. Nothing came up.
I'm not overly knowledgable about the insides of my computer (I program, not build), since my dad built it for me as a Christmas present three years ago. But here are the specs for what I do know.
- Windows 7
- Intel I3 processor
- Nvidia Geforce 450 graphics drive
- 4GB of RAM (2 sticks)
All drivers are fully up to date. My computer was cleaned out to remove dust about two months ago. Nothing new was installed or removed for at least a week before the freezing started. Since then I've cleared out unnecessary programs (old games and such), but it obviously didn't work. Please give me any advice on fixing the problem, it makes it impossible to do much of anything on my computer!