Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Motherboard Issue!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chuckery

chuckery

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

i have a dell inspiron m5030 laptop. when i boot it up, there's a blank screen, and beeps. 7 beeps to be exact, indicating that there's motherboard failure. i read a fix on dell's website, quoted as follows:

I was having the same issue with mine for a month, tried contacting Dell, nothing. For anyone still having this problem or for anyone who has just started having this problem, here's what I did. I tried an old Xbox 360 trick, I wrapped the laptop in a comforter, making sure to cover any air inlets on the laptop. I pressed power and let it run in the blanket for ten minutes. After that I let it cool, and did it again for fifteen minutes. I let it cool completely, then tried booting it up and it worked! Mine runs without any hiccups now. Also when I did the blanket, I disconnected the laptop's speakers so it wouldn't drive me insane.

i did this fix, and it worked! but now everytime i shut down my laptop afterwards, i have to do this fix to hop on. anyone have any suggestions for more of a long term fix?

thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

I would guess you have a BGA (Ball Grid Array) chip with at least one cracked solder ball, and thermal expansion once the system gets hot presses the assembly together enough to get contact. To repair it you would probably need to get the BGA chips on the board re-flowed (the solder under the chips melted to recreate a solid connection).

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

I agree with Platypus.

I will also say that what you are doing is very hard on all the laptop parts running them hot. Just in case the hard drive dies I would back up any information I didn't want to lose.

What happens if You leave the laptop running and do not shut it off? Does it stay running?

The permanent fix is either replace the motherboard or Find someone with the specialized equipment to reflow the BGA on the chip.

The fix You read about on the Dell site is like putting a band aid on a wound that needs stitches. Temporary.

Based on past experiences any of the Internet fixes such as what You read on the Dell site or using a heat gun to reflow are temporary over 90% of the time. Ask Your local electronics parts store if they have anyone that does this type of repair.

Here are a couple of Youtube Videos showing the reball process.

To summarize it becomes easier to get a replacement Motherboard.

Here are samples showing prices, just to confirm, Yours is a AMD CPU? many of the Laptop motherboards that had this problem were AMD CPU due to the extra heat produced.

http://www.amazon.com/Inspiron-M5030-System-Motherboard-03PDDV/dp/B005UF5ELA

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-IM5030-Series-Motherboard/dp/B005EDEKEA

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 chuckery

chuckery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

thanks for all the support. :) really helped me in deciding what to do.

but it turns out, this problem is an issue that a lot of people have had, because it's a defect in the laptop's model. so even though the laptop is out of warranty, dell is going to fix it anyway! lucky me. :D 

thanks again for the help! 

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

That's good news! Thanks for getting back to us with the result.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

That is very good News indeed, You just dodged a several hundred dollar bullet.

By The Way see if you can back up your data just in case.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users