Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Viewer - System (errors)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:06 PM

I'm exploring/learning about the Event Viewer this week. I'm running WinXP Home SP2 v5.1.2600. Some entries make sense, some do not. I noticed I'm getting a lot of .NET Runtime Errors. The error screen looks like this:

http://img465.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...nhunter16xz.jpg

Don't know what it means. FWIW I did a Run,Search on .NET Framework and see that I have the following three folders in C:\WINDOWS\.net\Framework: Version 1.0.3705 , Version 1.1.4322 , and Version 2.0.50727. The first two versions "properties" have a creation date that would indicate they were pre-installed by Dell. I assume Version 2.0 was part of a MS Security Update done since I bought the PC. Are all three supposed to be there? Or could this be a factor in my Event Viewer showing these errors?

What action(s), if any, would you folks recommend regarding these system errors? I'm not experiencing any odd pc behavior, other than some script errors on websites, but able to surf OK.

Edited by buttoni, 22 April 2006 - 04:20 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:58 PM

Well, I will try to help as much as I can but you have to realize that the only experts on .NET work for the big place in Washington Not DC.

The first thing I would do is get a copy of the, .NET software and reinstall. Or go to the web site and you can try this one.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/

It has a lot of info and might start you in the right direction and it has some links on the right side that might be useful.

Good luck

#3 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for your quick reply. Went to your link, but it left me overwhelmed. Most of the info there about .NET and its function was waaaaaay over my head. :thumbsup: Then when I looked at the .NET downloads at Microsoft.com I could not definitively tell which of the seemingly endless list of .NET offerings I would need (knowing version #'s not sufficient to be certain). I don't even know for certain which of the three versions is causing the problem and needs reinstalling, though the error screen would indicate it may be v2.0?!? So I also went out to the MS Newsgroup for WinXP-Setup and Deployment and posted a question re these error messages to see what they recommend.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:50 AM

I'm still waiting for reply on the MS Newsgroup post, but searching the "Shim Database Version Registry Key" keywords thereon, I found this and thought you might appreciate knowing:

There is a known issue in the v2.0 runtime that is causing this but in general it does not have any negative effects on the machine. What's going on is that there is a "shim database" in the registry that the runtime reads to determine if an application that is about to load the runtime via COM interop really needs an earlier vesion instead.

The problem is that the runtime was incorrectly asking for read/write permission to these reg keys rather than the read access it needed and so if you try to load managed code via com interop in a process that does not have administrator privilages you will get this in your event log and we will choose the runtime for this process as we normally do. This only impacts applications if you are running one of the applications that is in the list that needed the earlier runtime.

The only time we expect this to occur is if you are running Word or Excel 2003 as a non-admin user and you have VSTO 2003 applications installed on the machine. If this is the case for you, you can go to Office Update and the latest critical updates will fix the issue and your applications will work as always (you will still get this entry in the event log).

We plan on addressing this issue as early as possible in an SP we don't know when that would occur.

The link to that full discussion is here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost....131584&SiteID=1

Can't tell what apps are creating the error entry on my machine (don't use Word/Excel), but this would indicate I probably need to take no action at this time. I will leave everything as it is and wait for future updates/service packs to resolve these errors for me unless MS forum directs me otherwise (I'll post here if they do). Thanks again for your help. ThorXP.

Edited by buttoni, 24 April 2006 - 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users