Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer completely locks up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lamp0fDarkness

Lamp0fDarkness

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

Okay so I have a bit if a major issue, so my computer would randomly freeze completely an I mean the keyboard and mouse as well, normally after I log into my account but sometimes before after the windows loading type logo. After about a week of no success in getting it to work I went ahead and bought a recovery flash drive from dell. Everything worked fine after I did that until I tried updating my graphics card driver (keep in mind I have integrated graphics) after I did that the computer restarted and it worked like normal, I started downloading a game fom steam and came back an hour later only to find that it froze yet again. I'm completely stumped as to how to sole this issue. It anyone can come up with a fix for this I will be VERY grateful my computer specs are as follows:
Dell Optiplex 390
Intel for i5 2nd gen CPU @3.10 ghz
Intel HD 2000 graphics
4 GB DDR3 RAM
Dell 245 watt power supply
Western Digital 500 GB HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

A freezing issue can be caused by a variety of reasons. I could be either hardware or software but since you already recovered the OS to factory state, i suspect a hardware failure here. Let us test the hardware parts one by one.

:step1: Run Dell diagnostics.

Most Dell machines came with a built in diagnostics which offers a basic diagnostic on hardware parts. Although it is not much comprehensive, sometimes helpful in detecting hardware failures.

1. Press F12 during power on to bring the boot menu.

2. Select diagnostics and let it run.

If there are errors detected during the test, report it here. If not, proceed to the next step.

:step2: Run memory test using Memtest86+.

1. Download Memtest86+ CD image from the below link.

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip

2. Burn the ISO to a blank CD using Imgburn.

Download link http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

3. Boot from the CD and the test will start to execute immediately. For an accurate result, we should run at least 8 passes of memtest. Since it may take a long time to complete, you can let the test run overnight. Stop the test when either the test completes eight or more passes or there are errors detected.

Report the outcome of both tests in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 18 August 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Two of the common causes would be overheating and bad sectors on your hdd.

You can monitor the temps using the free SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

If the problem is overheating, the fix is to open computer up and do a thorough cleaning.

Chkdsk /r can be used to find and repair bad sectors. But you likely won't be able to use that as it can take 

a lengthy period of time to run. Check the temps first and if that is not the problem there are options to

check the disk integrity using your CD-ROM drive.

Edited by buddy215, 19 August 2013 - 05:42 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Lamp0fDarkness

Lamp0fDarkness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

I have some more information that may be able to narrow it down
1. After fresh OS install computer crashes AFTER I apply windows update, all other times its fine.
2. When the computer does go into its crashing state it runs completely fine when I'm in safe mode.
3. My computer says its running at 40 degrees celcius idle.
Keep in mind windows update crashes it evenif its the first thing I do after a fresh OS install.
Hopefully this helps :)

#5 Lamp0fDarkness

Lamp0fDarkness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:05 AM

Oh and I used dells diagnostics tool and everything passes then I used chkdsk and set it to repair bad sectors as well as repair registry files. I've yet to use memtest and will do that shortly

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:16 AM

Hi

After completing eight passes with Memtest86+, please run a hard drive test using Western digital data lifeguard diagnostics. Check disk may not detect all surface defects. I only consider a hard drive to be good when it passed manufacturer's diagnostic test.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

Post the result of HDD and RAM tests in next reply. If both are okay, we can start looking for software issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users