Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer notebook performance dramaticly reduced recently

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kiwitertle

kiwitertle

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

Hi Team

Ive an older notebook that i still use when needed, but recently it has become  increasingly slower and slower and very temperamental. By this it can take a load of time to load up a page, or any simple task can just hang, to the point i will go start making a coffee! It just seems to some days really struggle to do anything.Whilst not the fastest notebook it has saved my bacon on a few ocassions, i would like to keep it as a spare but dont know why its all of a sudden having issues.

The notebook is a Operating System is a Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit SP2 running an Intel Celeron M @ 1.86GHz Conroe-L 65nm Technology, its RAM consists of  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12), the Motherboard is a Acer Volvi2 (U2E1) and the Hard Drives is a 75GB Hitachi HTS542580K9SA00 (SATA).

The hard drive has been partitioned by the previous owner i assume, as i certainly didn’t do it. It looks like the following

Partition 1

Partition ID         Disk #0, Partition #1

Disk Letter          C:

File System         NTFS

Volume Serial Number  F0208558

Size        32.4 GB

Used Space        30.6 GB (95%)

Free Space          1.83 GB (5%)

Partition 2

Partition ID         Disk #0, Partition #2

Disk Letter          D:

File System         NTFS

Volume Serial Number  E02E1CB7

Size        32.4 GB

Used Space        7.79 GB (25%)

Free Space          24.6 GB (75%)

I think half the issue is that the 1st partition is getting full and that is possibly causing issues, Are my problems based soley on the first partition getting full or are there other things i need to look at. I appreciate that she is an older notebook, BUT it works! Which is a stack load more than i can say for my newer version!!!

Thanks for any ideas,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

Hi

Yes, low free space on the C drive is a problem here. Experts recommends at lease 15% free space in the OS partition for proper system operation. Other than the free space issue, there might be additional problems in your system such as malwares, failing or old aging hard dive etc. Please try the below steps.

:step1: Transfer all the data that can be moved from C to D partition. Free up maximum space as you can. 

:step2: Download and run TFC to clean all kind of temp files.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

:step3: Uninstall unused applications.

Open Control Panel --> Programs and uninstall all the software which you never used. They only help to eat hard drive space and slowing down Windows by adding unnecessary services.

To detect and uninstall bloatwares pre-loaded by laptop manufacturer, you can use the free program PC Decrapifier.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

:step4: Use Microsoft Security Essentials as the antivirus solution.

Most of the third party AV programs are huge resource hogs and known to slow down  systems. Microsoft's own AV program MSE requires very low system resources and works very well with Windows. I highly recommends uninstalling your current antivirus completely and use MSE instead.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Run a full scan of the system with it once the installation and database updating is complete. 

:step5: Upgrade system RAM.

Windows Vista requires 2 GB RAM or more for smooth operation. Please add another compatible module to your system and it will greatly help in improving system performance.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 17 August 2013 - 11:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users