Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS3MediaServer connectivity networking question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

So, I don't really know how to ask this question, without describing the situation, so I've been unable to search for a resolution.

I have my media computer connected via my 5GHz SSID ("****Mediaserver") to my D-Link DIR-825 dual-band router.  Hard-wired via ethernet cable to the DIR-825 is my PS3.  The DIR-825 is also connected to my ATT Uverse gateway for internet...

Today, I added a new Lenovo laptop to the mix.  It's connected via 2.4GHz to my DIR-825 with a separate SSID.

Internet----Gateway----DIR825---------PS3

^- -- -- -- -- -MediaServer Computer (5GHz)

^- -- -- -- -- -Samsung Galaxy SIII     (5GHz)

^- -- -- -- -- -- -Lenovo Laptop             (2.4GHz)

^- -- -- -- -- -- -iPhone :(                      (2.4GHz)

^- -- -- -- - *means wirelessly connected

This seems strange to me, and maybe this is normal (please explain why it's normal if it is), but the Lenovo laptop sees my PS3MediaServer as a "nearby device," but cannot connect.  It's strange to me because the Lenovo is on a different SSID over a different channel/frequency.  How does it see it?  I did, as a test, use my phone to prove to myself that I can be connected via 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz SSIDs and still have access to the media server.  How does that work?  Is this because the router is the common connection point?

I'd like to know what I need to do to make the Lenovo recognize/have access to PS3MediaServer.

Thanks everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Have you tried disabling your Windows firewall or protection security settings on the laptop? See if the Network and Sharing - Advanced Network Sharing Settings needs to enable Media sharing (Public /Private) including the File and Printer sharing options.

Tekken

#3 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thanks.  I'll check that out tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users