Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezing, monitor going to standby.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sirovai

sirovai

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hi,

SYSTEM;
Win 7 64x - Latest updates
GB P67A-UD3 mobo
i5-2500k
HD6950
XMS3 4gig
Corsair 750W PSU
All stock.
Drivers up to date for most part.

My PC has recently developed a problem. When playing games, after a while the game will freeze, the monitor goes to stand-by mode and the PC becomes unresponsive. The fans will speed up and down as if the PC had been rebooted.

I have to reset via the button to get out of this state. On reboot into windows, it will say 'Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown...' (Or something like that). It has generated a minidump and says the cause was a BSOD.

Now, how do I go about troubleshooting this problem? Is it hardware/software? Here's what I've managed to pull from windows debugging, don't know how to set all the symbol nonsense right.

ADDITIONAL_DEBUG_TEXT:
You can run '.symfix; .reload' to try to fix the symbol path and load symbols.

FAULTING_MODULE: fffff80002e66000 nt

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 5154e9d9

FAULTING_IP:
atikmpag+ab38
fffff880`042acb38 48895c2408 mov qword ptr [rsp+8],rbx

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x116

CURRENT_IRQL: 0

Any help would be appreciated. It says graphics driver fault, but the games been running 100% ok for weeks on the same driver.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

The information here may be of some assistance :

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/544708/graphics_driver_tdr_fault/

The concensus in the above post seems to be be it is a problem associated with the video card drivers. I would be inclined to go to the manufacturer's web-sit and get the latest drivers for Win 7 64 bit and install them.

However, what immediately came to my mind when I read your post was an over-heating problem of some sort. Playing games puts more load on your graphics system than almost anything else, which means more heat to get rid of. It would do no harm whatsoever to take a look around the inside of your computer and give it a good clean. Other things to look out for are badly routed cables obstructing the airflow around your graphics card, or another card being mounted too close to it and doing the same thing.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 sirovai

sirovai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Will do.

I have a long list of things to try. I used bluescreen to view the minidump file. The BSOD is a 0116 error, referencing the drivers: atikmpag.sys, dxgkrnl.sys and dxgmms1.sys. Atikmpag refers to the video driver of my card. However, this 0116 error does not necessarly mean it's a video card issue.

Checked here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116RadeonSeries-ATIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerrormessages.aspx

and here: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/63320-stop-0x116-video_tdr_error-troubleshooting.html

There's a long list of possible causes and things to try. It's basically going to be a case of narrowing down the problem as much as I can. Here's what I've tried and also what I intend to try.

Done:

Updated BIOS to latest.
Dusted inside case.
Reduced GPU Clock speed
Ran HD Tune test.
Ran memtest via boot cd.
Ran Prime 95 stresstests

Check direct x up to date.

Still to do:

Run Video mem test VMT
Run FURMARK TEST
Run WD HDD TEST Extended
Reset Pagefile
Run / sfcs cannow
Try driver verifier
Try registry clean

Anything else people would recommend? I think by the time I reach the end of these tests I can basically deduce the PSU is at fault, as every other component has been tested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users