Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When playing games, frames don't update, but the game keeps going.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EvanW

EvanW

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

First of all, system specs:  

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($85.30) 
Video Card:  Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card  ($398.98) 
Case:  Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($60.66) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  ($50.00) 
Total: $1194.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-17 16:50 EDT-0400)

Let's cut to the chase, when I'm playing games on my computer, it will randomly stop updating the frames, but the game is still playing in the background. I can hear the game going on as well as me being able to control it. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out of it. The games that I have noticed this on are: Just Cause 2, Dirt 2, Euro Truck Sim 2. The only game that it hasn't happened in yet is Garry's Mod. I am running on the latest CCC 13.8 beta drivers from AMD. The same problems occured when using 13.4 stable drivers. My BIOS is up to date, my drivers are all up to date.

Here are some of the things I tried (none of which have solved the problem):  

-Reinstalling DirectX  
-Reinstalling the games  
-Removing my secondary monitor (it is still currently disconnected)  
-Lowering graphics settings  
-CPU and GPU temps are fine  

Here is the code from the error I got when closing Just Cause 2:  

*Fatal DirectX error! Code: 6 Result: 0x887A0001: DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL The game will now exit. Try starting the game with /failsafe if the problem persist*  

Anybody have any ideas? I would think this would be a widespread problem in Windows 8.

EDIT: The problem has now also occured in Garry's Mod, but only in single-player. All the other games I have played that it happened in were single-player, maybe that has something to do with it?

Edited by EvanW, 18 August 2013 - 03:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

Hi

Can you try running the games in Window 7 compatibility mode ?.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6832-compatibility-mode-use-windows-8-a.html

Refer option two of the above tutorial. Many gamers reported it helped them to fix this particular error message. 

#3 EvanW

EvanW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

Hi

Can you try running the games in Window 7 compatibility mode ?.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6832-compatibility-mode-use-windows-8-a.html

Refer option two of the above tutorial. Many gamers reported it helped them to fix this particular error message. 

I tried, and the game went on for a bit longer than usual but it still froze. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users