Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mahdia

mahdia

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hi

I've had a slow computer for several weeks now; everything opens after a while and web pages take time to load and videos have problem playing. I have Mcafee so I don't know how the virus got in!

I have windows 7 and It's on a dell laptop 14r

Please help I need the computer for work!

I need help ASAP

Edited by mahdia, 17 August 2013 - 02:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

What makes you think it's a virus? Could be RAM or CPU issues as well.

We need more information on what's happening with your PC. Is it certain programs that are slow? Is it just Web pages and the Internet that's slow? How much system memory do you have installed on your PC? Do you usually have multiple windows/programs running when it's slow? Do you shut down the PC from time to time, or do you leave it constantly running?

#3 mahdia

mahdia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

All programs are slow even the ones that are not related to the Internet.

I don't have multiple programs running when it's slow and I do shut down my PC from time to time

Where do you check system memory?

It's been getting worse this week

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Windows key (has the Windows icon on it) + pause break key. Press them both together; it will bring up all the stats on your processor, system memory (will show up as installed memory/RAM).

#5 mahdia

mahdia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Installed Memory (RAM) : 4.00 GB (3.90 GB usable)

#6 mahdia

mahdia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Processor : Intel® Core™ i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20 GHz 2.19 GHz

64 bit Operating System

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

That amount of memory should be sufficient, and the processor seems fast enough. Again, why do you assume it's a virus? Are you getting error messages? Is your web browser being redirected to other Web pages? Have you run a full Mcafee scan? Did it find anything?

#8 mahdia

mahdia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

but what is it then? I know for a fact that my computer is running slower than ever before and everything takes time to open. What should i do ?

Mcafee has not found anything but then again, the last I had a virus and a technician fixed my computer Mcafee couldn't find anything at that time either

Anyway, it could be something else but I need help fixing whatever the problem seems to be

My web browser is not being redirected and I'm  not getting error messages

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

I would start by running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to check your system memory. Go to the Start menu, type memory, and click on Windows Memory Diagnostic. Click restart now and check for problems. Your PC will restart and run the diagnostic -- this may take some time. The PC will then restart again and give you an error report. This will help determine if it is a memory issue.

You might also want to try downloading and installing another antivirus tool, and then running a full scan. I recommend either Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast or Malwarebytes.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.

Louis

#11 shaggy-one

shaggy-one

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

The following are the first steps that I would take when fixing a slow computer.

Many users, after a few months, get a nice collection of toolbars, adware, spyware, virus and two or even more AV programs, etc. This is the usual cause of 'slow computer'. Yes there are other things that could cause slowness but let's deal with the most common causes first.

If you have more than one AV program this can slow the computer down significantly. A lot of people have Norton Systemworks three month trial and when it runs out they leave it on the computer and then add another AV program like Mcafee. This is not a good idea. Uninstall old AV programs before you add another.

**Remember that you should never have more than one anti virus installed at a time**

First, I would run AdwCleaner that is available on this site. Slow computers often have a lot of toolbars, adware etc. and AdwCleaner will help get rid of most of them.

Mcafee is a very poor choice for an anti-virus. You can replace it with the freeware Microsoft Security Essentials. This would be a good choice for you and much better than Mcafee.

Go to your control panel and under Programs> click 'uninstall a program' and uninstall Mcafee, next install  Microsoft Security Esentials and do a scan. I you have a problem uninstalling Mcafee there is a Mcafee removal tool that you can download.

Next, in the control panel, 'uninstall a program'. I would uninstall any toolbars that are left after AdwCleaner does it's thing. All old programs that you don't use should also go.

You can also download and run the freeware  'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware'. The freeware version is an on demand scanner which means you have to open the program and click 'scan' and you should do this once a week or so. One more excellent program is Superantispyware which is also Freeware/On Demand. I think you can get these from this site.

These steps should should improve the speed greatly but if it's still slow after you do the above then we need to check some other things like Memory etc.

Jim

#12 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

Also, try to defrag your hard drive. This may be also help.

#13 Armand Duval

Armand Duval

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Restart your computer and press "F8" to enter the safe mode with network. then check for it's speed. If it's slow still, do it as #hamluis told to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users