Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

icons change to inline images

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bjclark

bjclark

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I downloaded a number of icons to my gmail drafts to use with my email. For some reason, the icons have all reverted to little black boxes with a white x and are labeled inline images. Can anyone tell me what I have done now? Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 20 August 2013 - 12:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

If when you click on one of these icons to insert it as an attachment to an e-mail, or to embed it in an e-mail, does it still attach / embed ?

If it does, I wouldn't worry too much about it - it's probably a space saving feature of Gmail. I'm afraid I only use Gmail at second hand, with any of my students in the local library that nneed an e-mail account, but the next time I am in the library I will have a look.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 bjclark

bjclark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for your reply. When I click on one of the inline images, nothing happens. If I copy and paste, I get the same black box with a white x. Right clicking and selecting "show picture" doesn't do anything either. I am baffled! I have copies of those same icons in "Pictures" and they are displaying fine.

Edited by bjclark, 18 August 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

You have got me going now !  I misunderstood your original post - I thought you had saved a draft e-mail with these images in it so that you had them handy if you wanted to put them in an e-mail. I have just tried saving a draft e-mail with some attached images on my e-mail system, and re-opened it and the attached images were still there.

You say you have these images / icons saved in an images folder and they are perfectly visible there. While I am always willing to be corrected and I can still learn things, I think you are going to have to resign yourself to opening these images, and copying and pasting them into an e-mail if you want them visible in the body of the text, or attaching them if you merely want to send them to someone.

Or an I still misunderstanding you ?

Chris Cosgrove

#5 bjclark

bjclark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I don't think I am explaining myself well. I tried something else so I now have more info. I copied one of the "inline image" boxes, pasted it to a newly composed email, and sent it to myself. When I received it, it appeared as an icon! I tried to copy and paste the icon back into "drafts" but it reverted to the "inline image" box again. Do you think "inline image" is the way Gmail stores icons when there are too many of them? Thanks for your time.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Sorry, I hadn't seen your last post. You may well be right about Gmail storing multiple attachments this way. On the e-mail system I use, all attachments appear in an e-mail as just a line carrying the file name and the size.

I expect to be back in the library on Monday, I will try to remember to have a look at Gmail when I am there.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Well, I was back in the library today and, as my student didn't show, I had a free hour on somebody else's computer.

I tried attaching multiple files into a Gmail e-mail and that is what it looked like, your first post. I spent a little while going over Google's settings and didn't see any way to change - I could be wrong about that - but, like you , when I sent an e-mail with these files attached, they all arrived as I would have expected.

So, as long as your files are being sent correctly, I wouldn't worry about what it looks like in your draft. Hope this helps.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 bjclark

bjclark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for all of your work, Chris.  Is there any way that I can contact Gmail to ask them if there is a way around this?

#9 bjclark

bjclark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

I played around with Gmail and discovered that when you are composing an email, a number of little icons will appear on the very bottom line. One of them looks like a camera, and when you click on it you can add an icon or photo to your email from your "pictures" collection. It's a perfect way to add images! No more trying to save images in "drafts" and no more inline image problems!  Hooray!  Thanks for all your replys, Chris.

Edited by bjclark, 29 November 2013 - 03:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users