Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not turn on (installed new motherboard)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pb1300

pb1300

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

My computer will not turn on at all. I replaced the power supply, thinking that might be the problem, but nothing. I replaced the motherboard next, and still nothing. What is happening is when I turn the computer on, all the fans and lights turn on, the HDs are getting power, but the light on my monitor is blinking, which means it is not getting any signal. I tried connecting the monitor to computer via VGA, then DVI, and still get nothing. I also tried using a different HD, and just thought I would swap out the BIOS battery. I also tried swapping the RAM in it, using one stick at a time, thinking maybe the RAM might be bad.  Everything seems to be powered, and powering up, but I am not getting any type of video signal. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

this topic is a recurring theme "the computer powers up, but the display is not showing up"  considering that you have invested in replacement components and played musical RAM seats ~ that has been futile, obviously you want that PC in working order.

when you state you tried connecting to your monitor with VGA abd DVI, that interprets that you have a dedicated graphics card.

do you have an auxilliary VGA port in the back panel of your cabinet?   it is called "onboard video" and it should be located towards the top and away from your graphics card ports.   If you do, plug into it and see if you get a display then. but before you do that, reboot and access your BIOS by pressing F2 during the initial power up and check to see if there is a display priority called PCI. if there is, toggle it to the other option and save.

If that onboard video enables your display, then we can deduce that your graphics card is either in a malfunctioning state or it isn't designated correctly. don't be alarmed, it happens all the time, it just manifests in different ways.

Also,  If a user leaves a non-system disk in the optical drive and powers the machine down, when it powers back up, it just might prioritize that disk as a system disk, which it isn't. then the boot is non-existent, but the power is up and  the display is blank. I know this might seem silly, and it is for the most part, but it happened to me personally.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 pb1300

pb1300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

this topic is a recurring theme "the computer powers up, but the display is not showing up"  considering that you have invested in replacement components and played musical RAM seats ~ that has been futile, obviously you want that PC in working order.

when you state you tried connecting to your monitor with VGA abd DVI, that interprets that you have a dedicated graphics card.

do you have an auxilliary VGA port in the back panel of your cabinet?   it is called "onboard video" and it should be located towards the top and away from your graphics card ports.   If you do, plug into it and see if you get a display then. but before you do that, reboot and access your BIOS by pressing F2 during the initial power up and check to see if there is a display priority called PCI. if there is, toggle it to the other option and save.

If that onboard video enables your display, then we can deduce that your graphics card is either in a malfunctioning state or it isn't designated correctly. don't be alarmed, it happens all the time, it just manifests in different ways.

Also,  If a user leaves a non-system disk in the optical drive and powers the machine down, when it powers back up, it just might prioritize that disk as a system disk, which it isn't. then the boot is non-existent, but the power is up and  the display is blank. I know this might seem silly, and it is for the most part, but it happened to me personally.

What I ended up doing now was sort of a barebone boot. I removed everything from the motherboard, except the 24 pin cable, 4 pin cable, and one stick of ram, and I got video, and was able to access the bios. I then started adding things to the MB. I put a tv tuner card I had back in, and I got to the bios screen. I then added the video card, and viola, no video. Is there something that needs to be changed in the bios in order to use the video card, or is the video card bad? The motherboard is a Gigabyte G41M-Combo, and the video card is an Asus EN8600GT Silent.  The video card is with DVI connectors only, and while my monitor has a DVI connection, I dont a DVI cable on me at the moment, so I am connecting the monitor to the on board VGA.

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

is there display prioritizing in your BIOS?. it may be that your BIOS is looking for onboard, but you are plugged into your graphics card, or vice versa.

I see that you have two DVI-I ports in your 8600, do you have the passive DVI-I to VGA adapter? they are relatively cheap. it does take some tweaking to get them in order though.

Ok, so the onboard vga is working, that is a nice thing.

sometimes, a gfx card will put up a funky display when it goes bad, i know my radeon x300 did that. but considering that yours isn't doing anything gives us room to tweak.

That is quite an exotic card, double slot passive cool.   does it require any power connectors off of your power supply?

Edited by synergy513, 17 August 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#5 pb1300

pb1300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

is there display prioritizing in your BIOS?. it may be that your BIOS is looking for onboard, but you are plugged into your graphics card, or vice versa.

I see that you have two DVI-I ports in your 8600, do you have the passive VGA adapter? they are relatively cheap. it does take some tweaking to get them in order though.

Ok, so the onboard vga is working, that is a nice thing.

sometimes, a gfx card will put up a funky display when it goes bad, i know my radeon x300 did that. but considering that yours isn't doing anything gives us room to tweak.

I had an adaptor, and a DVI cable as well, but I cant seem to find it.  Im not too sure what I need to be looking at in the BIOS, because there are a lot of options to choose from.  I am currently going to the on board VGA, from my monitor, which means Im not using the video card at all.  I did borrow a DVI cable from a friend of mine, before I purchased the new motherboard, and tried the DVI from the monitor to the video card, but I didnt get any video.  TBH, the computer is my cousins, and Im trying to help him out, since he knows very little about these things.  Im no expert, but I know how to do a bit more than the basics, but BIOS is certainly not one of them.  Here are a few picks of the BIOS options. 

Attached Files

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

ok, that third image is the sweet spot, that is some sweet BIOS. the onboard is enabled if no PEG, that is good  (PEG is old school for PCI. which is the motherboard port that  your graphics card is plugged into)

initial display first is set to PCI which is your graphics card.. so if your monitor is  plugged into your graphics card, there really should be display.

now, this borrowed dvi cable, it shouldn't be  a concern. most monitors have the DVI-D (dvi-Digital only) receptacle (without the 4 pins around the long pin) as well as the VGA.  the DVI-I coming out of your 8600 goes both ways, analog and digital.  but there is something else..

ok, this is just  a hat trick that is harmless, as you can just undo and go back if needed.

your monitor,   look at the dvi port in the back of it, does it have the 4 pins around the long pin? if not, then it is digital  DVI only.   now, if you can get into the internal monitor settings (the buttons on the monitor frame), there will be an option of analog/digital. set it to digital and plug in your DVI cable to it and see if that works. if not, remember that you can set it right back to analog. I am thinking that unless it is getting a vga (analog) plugged into it, it interprets the input as digital and may pick up the DVI input and work.

It is cool that you are helping out your cousin. hopefully it is something you both can learn from. I do it for people all the time. I just hate it when they plead ignorance and walk away while i am performing surgery on their PC.  not caring to learn what to do and what not to do and be able to do it themselves if they are on their own.

Edited by synergy513, 17 August 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#7 pb1300

pb1300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

ok, that third image is the sweet spot, that is some sweet BIOS. the onboard is enabled if no PEG, that is good  (PEG is old school for PCI. which is the motherboard port that  your graphics card is plugged into)

initial display first is set to PCI which is your graphics card.. so if your monitor is  plugged into your graphics card, there really should be display.

now, this borrowed dvi cable, it shouldn't be  a concern. most monitors have the DVI-D (dvi-Digital only) receptacle (without the 4 pins around the long pin) as well as the VGA.  the DVI-I coming out of your 8600 goes both ways, analog and digital.  but there is something else..

ok, this is just  a hat trick that is harmless, as you can just undo and go back if needed.

your monitor,   look at the dvi port in the back of it, does it have the 4 pins around the long pin? if not, then it is digital  DVI only.   now, if you can get into the internal monitor settings, there will be an option of analog/digital. set it to digital and plug in your cable to it and see if that works. if not, remember that you can set it right back to analog. I am thinking that unless it is getting a vga (analog) plugged into it, it interprets the input as digital and may pick up the DVI input and work.

It is cool that you are helping out your cousin. hopefully it is something you both can learn from. I do it for people all the time. I just hate it when they plead ignorance and walk away while i am performing surgery on their PC.  not caring to learn what to do and what not to do and be able to do it themselves if they are on their own.

Its digital DVI only.  There are any pins surrounding the long pin.  I remember my friend brought over a dvi to dvi cable, and I had to add a vga adator to it because the cable he brought had the four pins around the long one.  I am going to have to wait until tomorrow until I can get a DVI cable to try out.  Ill reply to the topic back tomorrow, and hopefully you can help me out some more.  I appreciate the help! 

My cousin has no time to stay here and help, he is a chef at a restaurant nearby, and works A LOT!  Im more of the tech person between us, so I enjoy things like this, especially when I can learn something new.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

ok, i think we overposted, i will look for your topic tomorrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users