Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Win Xp Home - Do I Install Sp2?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 suzbwise

suzbwise

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

Hello!

I recently had a problem (2 PCs down - one was reasonably easy to fix, the other one is still in progress...)

I'm using Win XP Home - I had been using SP1 (plus various additional updates) but was reluctant to 'upgrade' to SP2 (I read about so many problems - I couldn't afford to be down or unable to run all my programs) - now I have to start over, anyway. (That is, reinstalling everything - at least my data is available.)

Is it now advisable to use SP2? Thanks for any advice.

- Suzanne.

PS - My system is pretty old, but it works fine for what I do. HP Pavilion 9790; 1ghz; AMD; 384mb ram (512 max); 2 x 200 gb harddrives (got 'em on sale!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

SP2 is absolutely necessary if this computer is going to be on line.

In my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.

Also be aware that there are about 40 updates available after you have installed SP2.

Start > All Programs > Windows Update

I think you will find that some of the responders to this thread are somewhat militant when it comes to SP2.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 suzbwise

suzbwise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

Thanks, once again!

SP2 it is...

Happy weekend -

- Suzanne.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

Many of the problems encountered were caused by installing SP2 on a hard drive that was compromised by malware, or by driver/application incompatibilites. The second problem has been by now fully resolved, and if you are doing a complete installation of Windows on a clean drive, the first is eliminated.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Hello, here is a way to do this better than thru Windows Update. It is the full installation package for Service Pack 2 and it works on all systems you just need broadband like cable or DSL to download it seeing as it is 256Mb

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Have a good day and this is exactly what is on the CD.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:27 AM

From http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en
"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER:
A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update.
The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP today.
You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2."

You may have to return to Windows Updates several times with reboots in between if you do not turn automatic updates on to download and install critical updates automatically, which is the best thing you can do. Turn automatic update settings on so that your computer downloads and installs updates automatically at a time which you know your computer will be on and connected to the internet.
Actually, since you currently are missing quite a few updates it would be a good idea to keep returning to Windows Updates after each required reboot until you have all available critical updates installed, but leave the automatic settings on so you get future updates in a timely fashion as soon as they are released.

The link posted at the top of this post is for a download for IT professionals to deploy SP2 across an entire commercial network, is an unnecessarily larger download, more complex to deploy, and an inappropriate download for installing SP2 on just one computer as Microsoft advises, and does nothing to address the subsequent and very necessary updates that you absolutely need.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 April 2006 - 12:46 AM.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:22 AM

Hello, I have been using the full download for installing Service Pack 2 on single computers and it is perfectly fine and works like a jewel after installation, People say but it is for networks, yes it is and when you get on the Internet what do you suppose you are on? Answer the world's biggest network.

You can use the full version safely and it is easier than getting thru Windows Update. Windows Update download was done for people with dial-up and just downloads a small portion each time you use WU. If suzbwise has a dial-up connection I would suggest asking a friend who has broadband to download it for her and copy to a CD-R then she can run it from the CD and be finished with it.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:05 AM

SP2 is a must have but please check your cpu configuration if it's a pentium\celeron before you install SP2. It's rare but I have see it twice in the last year and a half or so. Explanation and fix is in the article below:

Your computer stops responding when you restart to complete the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

SP2 is a security and operating system upgrade for your system - it's essential for the protection and operation of your system (and I'm starting to find some software that won't even run without SP2 installed).

The previous problems were due to the sweeping revisions that SP2 made - and the fact that software/driver writers hadn't designed their software with these changes in mind.

Now that it's been a long time since SP2 was released, I still see problems with it's installation. And it's always been able to be traced to an older driver or program on the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users