Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP1 continually downloaded and installed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dan9119a

dan9119a

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

My computer constantly notiies me that I have new updates to be installed.  When I click on the icon and install the new update, I notice it is always SP1.  When I check my update history it shows that SP1 has successully been installed many times.  What is causing this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one)

To open the program click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png.

Click on All Programs.

Click on Windows Repair (All in one), this may be listed as Tweaking.com.

If you are running Windows Vista, 7, or 8 right click on Windows Repair (All in one)  and then click on Run as administrator.

Notice:  You will need to disable your antivirus in order to run this program, for this reason you should run this while off line.

Go to Step 2 and click on the Do it button to allow CheckDisk to run. 

windowsrepairstep2-1_zps08aed02b.png

Go to Step 3 and click on the Do it button to run System File Check.

windowsrepairstep3-1_zps935b7603.png

Go to Step 4 and click on the Create button under System Restore.

windowsrepairstept4-1_zpseb336401.png

Go to Start Repairs and click on the Start button.

Important: Do not make any changes to the check marks.

For those running Windows 8 please note that  Reset Registry Permissions is not checked by design.

When the page below opens click on the Start button.

windowsrepairstartrepairs-1_zpsa179850d.

Please copy and paste the Windows Repair Log in your next post.  This log (_windows_repair_log.txt) is located in the following folder:

*  64-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

*  32-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Copy the file path for your version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit), click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png and paste it in the Search all programs and files box.

Click on Logs.

Click on _Windows_Repair_Logs.

Copy and paste this log in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

I am running McAfee Internet security 2013. I am not finding a way to diable it while I run Tweaking.com. What do I do to temporarily disable my anti-virus?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

If you double click on the McAfee icon a page should open with options to the Real time scanning.

When I think of McAfee I'm reminded of a review by Rotten Tomatoes of the move 2012: Doomsday.  The author of the review stated that they tried very hard to find something good to say about this movie, but couldn't.  That's pretty much the general sentiment for McAfee here.  It is a resource hog, doesn't play well with other, and isn't as effective as some of the freeware antiviruses available. AVAST! is one of the better ones available currently.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

I am trying to copy the logs to the search area on the start icon. When I try to paste in this area, I am unable to click on the paste because it is not in bold letters. How do I copy and paste as instructed to above?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

I am trying to copy the logs to the search area on the start icon. 

I don't understand why you are trying to post the logs as they aren't needed here.

Let's try this a different way.

Part A.

1)  Click on the start startorb_zps06e1f985.png orb and type services in the Search box.

2)  Services will appear in Programs above the Search box, click on this.

3)  Scroll down the list of services till you find McAfee, right click on it and choose Properties.

4)  Under Properties you will find Startup type, click on the down arrow to expand the menu and click on Disable, click on Apply, then OK and close services.

Part B.

1)  Type in msconfig in the Search box, right click on msconfig in Program and click on Run as administrator.

2)  Click on the Startup tab and look for McAfee entries listed as PROGRAM FILES\MACFEE under COMMAND column (that is the path where Macfee installed its executables or dlls).

When you find these remove the check marks in its boxes, click on Apply, and then OK

3)  Close System Configuration and restart your computer.

When you are done with the Windows Repair (all in one) you will need to reverse the changes you made.

#7 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

OK, I have downloaded and run Tweaking.com as instructed but still am having the same problem with SP1.  It shows it has been successully installed in my update history but keeps showing it as an important update that needs to be installed.  Somehow my OS is not recognizing SP1.  When I tried to install SP2 I am told that It cannot be installed until SP1 is installed.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

Try using the Fix it at Microsoft Support to resolve this issue.  

Under Diagnose by using automated troubleshooter click on Windows Vista and Windows XP.  

Then click on Run now in the Fix it box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users