Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free 2003 Server Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff V.

Jeff V.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hi guys, I managed to get myself an HP MediaSmart ex490 (Upgraded processor to core 2 duo 3Ghz) and this is one thing that I've yet to get is an antivirus.

I am only using it to share movies and music between my laptops, desktop, Xbox 360, and PS3.

I'm not a fan of the Open-sourced clamwin because it has no interface to interact with it.  For as much as I do with it, I don't really wanna go throw the money for a paid antivirus if I can help it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a free antivirus?

My company has an Intel partnership, our rep sent us a free SaaS license for a year but it completely disabled everything.  Can't stream, shared folders are unaccessible unless your logged in as a remote desktop to the server.

Any suggestions are welcomed! :)

Thanks!

Twitter | Google | Local Traffic Camera | The Rules

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bailey2007player

bailey2007player

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Try this one, powered BY ClamAV, http://www.immunet.com/free/index.html, I have used it for years, no slowdown. no stream stopping. ;)

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Other than CLam that you mentioned in your post. There is no free anti-virus that I know of for business use. Free software is usually licensed for home use (non-profits) only.     

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Jeff V.

Jeff V.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly, Boopme.  That's what I was afraid of.  When I first started playing with it, I thought I'd try Microsoft's Security Essentials, only to find out it's not compatible with the Server platform.

I guess this is one reason why the whole home-server geared setup never really took off too well. :/

#5 Jeff V.

Jeff V.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sorry bailey2007player, I didn't see your post.  I'll give that a try.  But I shouldn't have really expected more from the McAfee SaaS.  I've never had any luck with McAfee products, performance wise.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi,

Panda Could Antivirus is freeware and according to this page it works on Server 2003.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 Jeff V.

Jeff V.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Thanks guys.  So far, I've installed Immunet and it seems to be working fine, only it doesn't seem to run unless I remote in after it restarts for updates.  I'm going to try Panda if I can't sift through the settings and find something to fix that.

#8 Jeff V.

Jeff V.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

SleepyDude, I tried the Panda one you suggested and it would not install on Server 03 as it was not compatible.  They may have had a typo or something.  The immunet was not wanting to start as a service and I could not figure out how to get it to run as one.  I spoke with my boss and he said I can steal one of our business licenses of Kaspersky but I'm not really wanting too as that is way overkill for all this little thing is used for.  I even thought Avast, as it's a pretty lightweight AV but not compatible with the platform.

Any other suggestions guys, other than Immunet and ClamWin??

Thank you for all the suggestions so far.

#9 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Bitdefender has worked on 2003 in the past, but does not advertise that they are free for servers, even if for home use.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#10 Jeff V.

Jeff V.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

Thanks wing987, I tried that and none of the products are supported.  I did, however, find out that Microsoft Security Essentials Beta 2 runs on Server 03 so I am now in the process of trying to hunt down one of those installers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users