Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Space Travellers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

Solitary confinement on the ISS
Has anybody really given any thought to the series of crews who are sent constantly to the International Space Station - ISS - for a duty spell of 6 months ? Probably not. The glossy image of unique adventure and excitement overshadows the prospect of being shut up in a metal capsule for 189 days with no outside help, dominates the public mind.

Every single day is the same as the next for 6 solid months. it is essentially a scientifically decorated limited living room, kitchen and toilet. Every second being weightless and eating a boring assortment of vacuum packed food with some difficulty, where every spec of debris floats around the cabin and poses a failure hazard. They cannot allow bits and pieces however small to float around indiscriminately.The usual daily tasks of hygiene, washing, personal toiletries and housekeeping are not exactly simple or private.

No Doctors, Surgeons or other medical aid if one is taken ill, no repair man available if things go wrong, no walkies and no shopping expeditions. In fact no nothing. If a member of the crew cannot do it, it does not get done. The view outside never changes, it is the same every single day and night.

This entire period is a monumental challenge to personal sanity and a number of these astronauts have been in space for a year or more.

To me, it is a massive threat to mental stability and a rather optimistic challenge to maintaining good health over the entire mission period. The threat of sudden death from a variety of causes is a constant factor and of course the possibility of never returning to Earth and being marooned in space for all eternity, is a very real prospect. The only taxi service to and from the ISS is currently an exclusive facility provided only by the Russians at an exorbitant fee. America opted out with their discontinuation of the Space Shuttle.

It matters little how much these people are trained, when in space training is simply a vital survival skill, that is all. The rest is back to GOOD LUCK and personal mind control.

Comments please  about the orbital situation of sheer endurance these astronauts have to sustain constantly for periods of 6 months or more.

What a life. Would you like it ? Apart from the initial novelty of a space ride, I certainly would not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Can't even contemplate the motivation to do this. maybe a huge paycheck at the end.

It would take a particular personality and individual, like you said. I cannot recall how many are up there together...But. I. would. never. spend. all my days and nights. with a coworker.  Like Ever.

So, no, would not consider it. I'm also creative and need variety. Really, how many pics can you take of that view?

Oh, and I would not have my animal(s). So it's not an option.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Just a point on crewing.

The crew for the ISS must not be less than 3.
This number was regular for a very long time, with 6 crew being present for a  short period at mission  change over. The current regular crew number is now 6, being increased in the past 2 years.

Very rarely there have been up to 10 crew members on board, probably due to transport problems or some short term specific scientific purpose. The life support systems and food storage provisions are not adequate to sustain more than the allocated crew number for long unless special supplies have been delivered by the recovery vehicle.

So apart from infrequent irregularities, 6 crew are now normally  present. The only contact with another human outside the craft is through the constant audio communications with ground control - Russian and American, plus the onboard visual computer monitor contact.

The station is maintained at an orbit between 278 km (173 mi) and 460 km (286 mi) altitude. As the ISS constantly loses altitude because of slight atmospheric drag, it needs to be boosted to a higher altitude several times each year.

Specially for Stolen, meet Laika the Russian space dog pioneer, launched into space on 3 November 1957. Laika died within hours after launch from overheating, thought to be caused by a failure of the central  sustainer to separate from the payload.

In Memory of Laika :-

Laika_zpsea781fd1.jpg

Edited by yabbadoo, 17 August 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#4 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi yabba, very interesting facts-- I had no idea.  There was a movie called Apollo 18. I found the shooting style tedious, so I did not finish the movie, but this thread reminds me of that movie for some reason, and it was not pretty.  I did really enjoy the scenes in the movie Armegeddon, but again, it was a broken down space station with a guy half crazy from being up there LOL 

ps. TY for the Laika memory.  that is very sad. What an adorable dog. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users