Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malfunctioning CPU?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TarShoduze

TarShoduze

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

Hi.
Before, I had a Pentium IV (2.6GHz, single core) CPU with 512MB RAM, integrated Intel 82865g graphics (96MB), running Windows XP Professional. I didn't have any problem with it. I played with GTA 3 and GTA Vice City (both at 100% CPU usage) flawlessly. But the inevitable desire for more RAM came and I upgraded it to 1GB with another 512MB card, for a total of 2 512MB cards, set up for dual-channel. After that, I noticed that my system would hang randomly (the mouse cursor doesn't move), so I reinstalled Windows XP. The random crashes didn't happen again. But whenever I play GTA Vice City (didn't test with GTA 3) for too long, GTA VC would stop responding, and the sound loops as if playing from a broken CD. I have to press CTRL-ALT-DEL, wait for about 2 minutes, then kill GTA VC.
I recently downloaded XFCE (NES emulator) and ReGen (Sega Genesis emulator). XFCE--with around 50% CPU usage--runs smoothly, while ReGen--with 100% CPU usage--would run at several times normal speed (the graphics do not update, but I can hear it in the music) non-responsively after half a minute of playing. XMPlay, while encoding WAV to Vorbis (100% CPU usage again), would also almost halt after several seconds of encoding.
Now, I can see that 100% CPU usage will cause a program to behave erratically when it didn't before (when I had 512MB RAM only--yes I removed the RAM and it worked fine as expected again, when I put the RAM back, it happens again). BUT I play Chess using Arena (with Houdini 3 as engine) which uses 100% CPU always, but it NEVER crashes! The programs that DO crash (oggenc2 for converting to Vorbis, ReGen Genesis emulator, but not sure about GTA Vice City--maybe my graphics driver (which depends on CPU for rendering) uses SSE) all use SSE(2/3) instruction set!

Here's my conclusion--100% CPU usage would trigger a program malfunction IF the program uses SSE, SSE2, or SSE3 instruction set WHEN I have 2 512MB RAM cards.

What's the problem and how do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

Most likely it seems that you have a problem with the system RAM, maybe not compatible sticks or one could be bad. Or even the motherboard could have a bad RAM slot. Test for memory problems with memtest86+  http://www.memtest86.com/

Could you provide some details of your system? Specifically make/model of motherboard and which Pentium 4 CPU you're using.

If CPU is socket 478 then you will have SSE3 only if Prescott core, otherwise SSE3 is only available on socket 775 Intel CPUs.

Grand Theft Auto may need more than 1GB of system RAM to play nicely and a dedicated graphics card is highly suggested. I believe XFCE is the same NES emulator that I use and I've found that any problems can be fixed by changing some of the settings in the emulator. Usually set lower settings if possible. I've never tried ReGen before, though.. I use one called Gens and it works very well.

Sometimes the audio skips a little even for me on GTA:3 & Vice City and I've got at least double the recommended system specs, seems to be something in the way it reads audio from the CD-Rom.

#3 TarShoduze

TarShoduze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

Thanks for replying!
Yes, I've used memtest86+, and it didn't report any errors.
I've replaced the ram card 3 times, all tested by memtest, but same thing happens.
Sorry, I'm confused. I mean SSE2 only, not SSE3. My motherboard is ASUS P4P800-VM. GTA worked perfectly (around 20FPS) when I had 512MB RAM. When I added RAM, the dual-channel RAM improved the performance (around 40FPS) but crashes after several minutes (10 minutes?) I do not have problems with XFCE, I also used Gens before, but not now. Okay, I'll try Gens now. Meanwhile, I'll try ReGen build without SSE2 (they say it's for Pentium III--maybe it uses SSE(1) instead?)

Thanks for replying!
I've replaced the ram card 3 times, all tested by memtest, but same thing happens.
Sorry, I'm confused. I mean SSE2 only, not SSE3. My motherboard is ASUS P4P800-VM. GTA worked perfectly (around 20FPS) when I had 512MB RAM. When I added RAM, the dual-channel RAM improved the performance (around 40FPS) but crashes after several minutes (10 minutes?) I do not have problems with XFCE, I also used Gens before, but not now. Okay, I'll try Gens now. Meanwhile, I'll try ReGen build without SSE2 (they say it's for Pentium III--maybe it uses SSE(1) instead?)

Thanks for replying!

#4 TarShoduze

TarShoduze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

Sorry for the multiple posts.
Pentium III version of ReGen did not work and runs VERY fast after around 20 seconds. Trying Gens.

#5 TarShoduze

TarShoduze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

Yes, Gens worked PERFECTLY! Trying Kega Fusion.

#6 TarShoduze

TarShoduze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

Kega Fusion works.
I conclude that whenever the SSE2 instruction set is used by the program and it uses 100% CPU, the program will crash. How do I fix this?

#7 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

If the CPU features Hyper Threading make sure it is enabled in the system BIOS. If no Hyper Threading it will run slower. The best benefit would be more RAM and a graphics card.

#8 TarShoduze

TarShoduze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

SNES9x works fine, also.
Hyper-threading? Believe me, I can use the BIOS but I can't find any hyper-threading there.

#9 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

Sorry for delay in response, I've got a friend who uses the same motherboard so we took a photo of the screen to show Hyper Threading option in BIOS. Looks like it should be in Advanced CPU settings.

[attachment=140990:$(KGrHqF,!ncFH105MFgoBSDvfFO2Ew~~48_20.JPG]

It is possible for CPU to malfunction, but most CPUs can handle quite a bit before failure. Maybe try CPU-Z to see if it shows any problems with the CPU. It should just show info about your system.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Maybe try Speedfan to see what your system temperatures are and make sure your fans are running.

http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html

#10 TarShoduze

TarShoduze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thank you very much. I believe that my CPU has a problem. I'll try getting a video card. If that does not work, I'll replace the CPU. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users