Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my hard drive dead -- Windows Vista will not load.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SylarZero

SylarZero

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

Yesterday morning, I tried booting up my computer, but the login screen never came up.  It was just a black screen.  No matter what I tried, it would not go to the login screen, and I was unable to get into the Recovery Manager.

I ran a diagnostics on it -- and one of the drives failed the test.  I reran the test later, and it passed.  But still Windows would not go to the login screen.  I'd get the Microsoft logo, and then a black screen.  Being an older computer (5 years old) I decided that it was just time to get a new one.  It had been having some problems for a while (Shadow Copy Service was causing it to freeze until I turned it off)

I did have backups of some of the most important stuff.   But I'd still like to, if at all possible, get some  files I hadn't backed up off the old hard drive.  Which I believe that you can do with a SATA to USB cable?  

What I'm wondering is if it sounds like the Hard Drive is dead -- and I'd be unable to get the files off of it that way or not.  And if it would be safe to try with my new computer or not.

Summary of information:

-Computer was working just fine the night before

-Diagnostic test screen will come up, as will the other options except Recovery Manager (but this was always an issue)

-One drive failed diagnostic test one time.  Failed Smart Test. (Told me to contact HP)

-Diagnostic tests pass now

-Windows Logo comes up

-Login Screen does NOT come up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

sounds like you can get files off but the drive may be in that middle ground of failing and okay... best take it to another computer plug it up with an adapter and get files off sooner rather than later ... forget trying to get it to boot again, save your important stuff first.

You may open up a desktop computer and use a sata port (this sometimes can change the boot drive, be careful) or get a sata to usb ... your choice. There is a small amount of risk in openning up any computer ... just like there is risk leaving your home everyday... I consider the risk acceptable and minimal but it all depends on your point of view.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 17 August 2013 - 12:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users