Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Burning a .iso DVD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

I'm currently using WinXP Pro SP3 (x86) and using CDBurnerXP. My optical drive is Lite-On iHAP222 IDE DVD-RAM. It's a DVD Multi Recorder drive, labeled for DVD+R DL and RW discs. The .iso file is 4.64GB and CDBurnerXP won't burn it because it won't fit the disc, which is labeled as 4.7GB capacity.

Google search gave tons of results that say it's something to do with discs being labeled 4.7GB in the sense of 1GB = 1,000MB whereas 1GB really is 1024MB. The .iso file I'm trying to burn is an OS... so it's supposed to fit a standard DVD+/- R disc. I don't know anything about overburn (never tried such feature before) but still risked it and got same error saying the disc doesn't have enough space.

The discs I use are TDK 1-16x 4.7GB DVD+R and never before seen such an error come up with .iso files this large.

Any suggestions?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, it seemed the most relevant here but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 932 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

Is there anything non essential that can be removed from the .iso? I have had to do this a few times to fit a DVD. Other than burning to dual layer disk, maybe creating a bootable flash drive (or similar) to house the .iso data would be an option.

#3 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

I do have a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB flash drive, I'll give that try. Don't know why I always forget about the bootable USB device.

Thanks very much :thumbup2:

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

Hope it is a valid option and you are quite welcome.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,470 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

As bludgard suggested, there is a chance with an older BIOS that there will not be an option to boot from a USB device.  You will need to look in the BIOS boot order to see if it is one of the options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

Just to Add, a DVD marked 4.7Gb can hold files that windows calls 4.36Gb maximum as I remember it. Might be 4.32 however. .

You had said

discs being labeled 4.7GB in the sense of 1GB = 1,000MB whereas 1GB really is 1024MB.

Exactly right, to the disk makers 1GB = 1,000MB

Whereas to Microsoft 1GB is 1024MB

This is also the same reason the 1Tb hard drive in this computer is considered by Windows to be 931Gb.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users