Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crystal Rpt Viewer causes ADWARE to run

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DB001

DB001

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

Two days ago while on a hotel network  i opened a report on my pc that i have opened many times before without issue.  This time the report opened and i got a flood of advertisements from the following website url  imgads.seriousads.net/afr.php?zon.  Since then i have tried many things to get rid of this, i have run malware several times, removed crystal and reloaded crystal several times and run McAfee.  Nothing is working. 

Has anyone seen this before?  Please help! :-)

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Let's start by running Adware Cleaner, Super Antispyware Free and an Eset online scan.

Post the logs from the scans back here. Allow those scanners to remove whatever they find.

AdwCleaner Download

SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!

Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner

Hopefully one of those will find and remove the cause of the ads. If one is successful, then

use Ccleaner to clean up the temp files, logs, etc. Just use the default settings. Do not use the

registry cleaner. Not necessary and may cause problems. While installing the Yahoo Toolbar or other

will be offered. Be sure to UNcheck the offer unless you want it.

EDIT:  CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

If you are only seeing those ads while visiting one particular website, then it could be as simple as

blocking third party cookies. Disable third-party cookies in IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome | How To - CNET

After blocking the cookies from installing, you will need to run Super Antispyware to remove the ones

that are presently on your computer.

If you are using the Firefox Browser then install two add-ons....Adblock Plus and NoScript.

Adblock Plus can be installed in Google Chrome, too.

Edited by buddy215, 16 August 2013 - 08:36 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 DB001

DB001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Wow, that for the advice.  I will give it a try!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

By default, Adblock Plus will allow some ads. If you find that Adblock Plus is allowing more ads

than you would like for it to, you can easily change to blocking all ads. Click the Adblock Plus icon and choose "Filter Preferences" from the menu. Uncheck "Allow non-intrusive advertising" and you are done.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users