Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

99.9% Certain my Processor is busted, but still having doubts.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

I recently purchased parts for a new computer. When I boot it, it fails to POST, giving 4 beeps, no video, and no USB power whatsoever.  All fans and LEDs run.  Upon removing all components but the PSU, CPU+HSF and Motherboard, the same beep code occurs.  Using all possible sets of components (1 ram tried in each slot, both ram no video card, video card no ram, etc.) gives me the same exact beep code. I flushed the CMOS, same issue. Upon removing the CPU, the systems boots for a moment and shuts off entirely, leading me to the slight possibility of a Power Supply Issue.

I know for certain it is not the motherboard as I have swapped motherboards, and I cannot test the current power supply as the only other computer I have available is rated for 900+ Watts and the PSU is 550.  I could, in theory, test the processor in my current computer but am lacking thermal compound for when I put it back in my current computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

You can test your power supply by putting it in the 900W rated computer so long as you don't try to run the computer flat out on heavy duty gaming !  Your 550W power supply will provide more than enough watts to boot the other computer and run say Speccy  ( www.piriform.com ) to check the voltages it is putting out.

I suspect you may well be right about the unhappy state of your processor, but you can get heat sink compound from almost any electrical / electronic component supplier and if you haven't got any of these in your district you can get it on-line from the likes of Amazon and Newegg. I believe a typical price in the USA is about $ 5 for a small tube.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users