Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird partial shutdowns during Gameplay

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Grech

Grech

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

The above is my hardware.   I have Windows 7 Professional 64bit OS.

Sometimes when I am playing a game, it will do a weird partial shut down.  The Mobo lights are still on, CPU fan is still running the GPU fan is still running, all the case fans are running but no picture is coming through to the monitor.   I have to do a hard shutdown (turning the PSU off) then I usually have to hit the restart button because it gets stuck in the MSI boot splash screen.

I had the same issue when I first put the machine together.  But through trial and error I fixed it by turning off the Cool and Silent and Unganged Ram features in the Bios setting.  When I updated my bios a few weeks ago.. the weird partial shut downs started again.  That's when I remembered the settings in BIOs and found that they had been turned back on.  But when I turned them off again  and went back to playing games, it happened again. 

So I am wondering how I can troubleshoot.  A lot of other websites are quick to blame the PSU... But I have seen many other Posts about people with the same Mobo I have and they have the same problem.  I do not think it is possible that we all have failing PSUs but I am willing to check my PSU out just so I can rule it out.  My PSU does not seem to displace a lot  of air through the fan in the back... I do not know if that means anything or not but I remember most of my old PSUs displacing a LOT of air.  I do not want to buy anything until I track down what ever it is that is causing the problem.  I have a new Mobo picked out if it comes to that and a new PSU... and I am looking at GPUs as well.

Update:  I went to the Corsair page and found that the PSU I have isn't supposed to spin the fan unless it is under a heavy load (Which it does I tested it with Borderlands 2).  So I think I have ruled out the PSU as the culprit.

Edited by Grech, 16 August 2013 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

Here is the obvious:  Flash your BIOS back to what worked in the first place.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Grech

Grech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Okay I will try that... where can I find some old bios?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/890FXA-GD65.html#/?div=BIOS

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users