Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello and Thanks ...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Harnessmaker

Harnessmaker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

What a super site this is!  Thankyou so very much!

I came across your site while Googling desperately for security information (since I must switch over very soon to Windows XP in order to file  some official documents ...)  

My online setup for the past six years has been Tinycore Linux with an  Opera browser.  It's run from live cd teamed with a read-only usb - sort of an e-bicycle in a world of e-cars - and well suited to slower connections.  Even on 56k modems one can travel quite fast after disabling the loading of slower content (images, scripts and styles etc.) through Opera's "User Mode".

The awareness that with this setup each online run starts out clean and that all malware dies at shutdown is extremely reassuring, given that my 15-year-old Thinkpads came from uncertain sources. (Though there remains the possibility of a hardware keylogger which I aim to confuse by "cut-paste-and-finagle" of passwords).  The setup can make for some quite daring surfing...!

In case you're wondering, my paranoia about malware dates from watching the browser of my beloved Win 95 Dell Latitude machine go down in a sea of crumbling red and gold flames (I kid you not - it was spectacular!)  It turned out the cause was an early "proof of concept" of an iframebo virus that later became a major data thief.  On that machine's hard-drive was a database of my family's financial accounts, and the realization of how vulnerable it had been and how close we had come to disaster has led me to "air-gap" all such items in future.  Time-consuming, but reassuring....

But then: "If the threat IS real, it's not paraonoia..."

I look forward very much to learning from you.  Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

:welcome:

It isn't really paranoia if they are out to get you.

I take a different tack. I have a separate Laptop that only gets used for online banking, Bill paying, and Online shopping at a few select large websites. It gets run once or twice a month, No email or Internet browsing. Wired Internet only.

I believe this system will keep me secure financially, Knock wood.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users