Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Archos G9 Android tablet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

I have had my Archos G9 (8 inch) for just over a year and until recently had no real problems with the tablet itself (have had to replace power cable though). Recently it has begun randomly freezing/crashing for no apparent reason. Also i have been unable to sucessfuly update the OS - they download but then wont install.

I am starting to think the two problems are related, that without a required update the OS 'fails' in some way. Either that or the OS has become corrupted.

I also have problems with apps, some which worked fine before now are either failing to load or become unresponsive after a short while. Sometimes apps i no longer want cannot be uninstalled.

What can i do to put this right? Will i have to restore the tablet to factory settings or is there something less drastic i can do?

I was also wondering about the cache (internet, temporary files etc). On a PC this needs regularly cleaning but on a tablet running android there seems to be no way to do this (assuming it needs doing on a tablet). I did install a cleaner app but it doesnt seem to do any good/will not work. I am guessing a cluttered cache could also cause running issues with the OS?

Can anyone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monijo2

Monijo2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'm somewhat of a newbie here, but I've been working with Android phones and tablets quite a bit.  If anyone wants to correct me, please feel free.  Also, it would be nice to know which Android OS you're working with, as the settings are slightly different for each.

First, addressing the cache issue: in the Android system, most cache files are strictly temporary files, and when the device powers off, they are cleared out of the memory.  When the memory starts to fill up, the operating system begins deleting cache files, since they are temporary files anyway.  Many times, if you go into the settings application, then go to the applications, you can scroll through, check each application's cache, and clear the cache, especially if it's significant.  Significant is relative to the amount of RAM your device has available, and many times that will show beneath your running applications in the settings menu (memory used versus total memory).

Now, memory could very likely be the issue.  If the device becomes too full, programs begin to malfunction, and the device will freeze and crash.  I try to keep at least a quarter of my NAND flash open, it's like keeping that 15% on a Windows computer.  Android devices don't need to defrag, necessarily, but that extra space is good to have for various reasons.  I had a phone a few years ago running Android 2.3, I put an application on there that took up way too much memory, and I had to uninstall it...and it went downhill from there.  I had to do a system reset and reinstall my applications, but, thankfully, had kept a backup of my phone's contacts and my documents on the microSD card.

My suggestion would be to find a way to move or store pictures and documents, and downloads, somewhere other than the local memory, i.e. a microSD card or a PC connection/backup.

Well, that's my humble opinion, if it helps, let me know, if I can help further, let me know that too!  :-)

P.S. There are apps that you can install to clean out the cache, but I'm a firm believer in not relying too much on the technology to do for you what you can do for yourself. :-)

Edited by Monijo2, 16 August 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#3 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

The OS is or should be Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)

There is very little user data such as photos and videos on the device. Data usage mostly in the form of apps.

Unfortunately this is rather academic. Unit now will not power on at all. When connected to PC or mains supply green power light flickers on and off. Cant even get into recovery screen. fearing worst unless there is something anyone can suggest  to revive it. As far as i am aware the unit is fully charged

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users