Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open A Certain Website

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ac123

ac123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

So basically I own a website and therefore I visit it everyday. A few weeks ago it stopped loading for me and I thought that the server was down  and passed no heat of it but when I ask my co-owner she says it works fine for her. I have tried opening it in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox and none have loaded it. I tried on my brother's laptop and it won't load there either. I cleared my history, cookies etc. and still didn't load. Our internet setup recently changed so I called a computer technician and they said they could find nothing wrong with it and to call my internet provider who said hey could do nothing about it. I'm hoping someone here can help me solve my problem. Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JTB

JTB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

I have a similar problem. I got an error message when I tried to open a webpage that had been working. The message was something like "server error when web site is hosted on IIS 7.0: 'HTTP Error 501.0 - Not Implemented'." I searched and found an answer on microsoftsupport.com. It gave a possible solution by adding a new registry entry. The steps presented were:

1. Click START, Click RUN, type REGEDIT, then click OK

2.Locate and right-click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\PParameters

3.Point to NEW. click DWORD Value, Type EnableTraceMethod, and press enter

4. Double-click EnableTraceMethod

5 In the VALUE DATA box, type 1, and then click OK

I was able to make the registry change, but it didn't quite work. Now I get an error that says "The page you are looking for cannot be displayed because a header value in the request does not match configuration settings." I haven't found an answer for this. I am running on Windows 7, and this article is dated 2007. It may be outdated, but you might look this up on Microsost support and find a clue.

#3 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

I have a similar problem. I got an error message when I tried to open a webpage that had been working. The message was something like "server error when web site is hosted on IIS 7.0: 'HTTP Error 501.0 - Not Implemented'." I searched and found an answer on microsoftsupport.com. It gave a possible solution by adding a new registry entry. The steps presented were:

As stated, this is a server error - that means you can't fix in your client computer or web browser.  The server owner needs to fix it.  The fix you posted specifically stated:

APPLIES TO
  • Microsoft Internet Information Services 7.0

#4 JTB

JTB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

MzLindyOne,

Thank you for the info. You are obviously much more knowledgeable with computers than I am. When something goes wrong with my computer, I just search around for a solution. I stumbled on to a Microsoft webpage that said "Error message when you visit a Web site that is hosted on IIS 7.0: HTTP Error 501.0 - Not Implemented". I am going to be as precise as I can because I don't want to provide information that is wrong or incomplete. I just want to know where I go to get it fixed. Please bear with me.

Then, the page in Microsoft Support went on to say "When you visit a Web site that is hosted on Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0 in a Web browser, you receive an error message that resembles the following:

Server Error in Application "ApplicationName"

HTTP Error 501.0 - Not Implemented

HRESULT: 0x00000000

Description of HRESULT

The page you are looking for cannot be displayed because a header value in the request does not match configuration settings  

I don't know what IIS 7.0 meant. I assumed this was the ID of the server. Is Microsoft the owner of IIS 7.0? Or does IIS 7.0 apply to something other than the Server?

This is the error message I receive when I try to access the log into the web site where I experienced my problem.

Server Error

501 - Header values specify a method that was not implemented

The page you are looking for cannot be displayed because a header value in the request does not match certain

configuration settings on the Web server. For example, a request header might specify a POST to a static file that

cannot be posted to, or specify a Transfer-Encoding value that cannot make use of compression.

This all Greek to me. I do know that the software for this webpage was provided by Jonas Software. I have logged into this web site hundreds of times. Then it stopped working. Do you think that I should look to Jonas Software for a solution.

Thanks again for your info. At least, I can assume that it is probably not a problem with my computer. 

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Are you hosting your website yourself, or is a third party hosting the website? If a third party is hosting the website, have you tried to call them and see what's going on?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 ac123

ac123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

I have gotten this fixed. Thanks for all the replies.

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Anytime, thanks for letting us know.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#8 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

JTB, everybody is a newbie sometime, in some way.  For instance right now I'm having a time using multiquote here, so I'm reverting to copy and paste.  :-)

When something goes wrong with my computer, I just search around for a solution.

Nothing wrong with that - in fact that's what the Internet was for, long before it turned into a giant shopping mall.  If you're going to do it that way, just remember to look for what the advice applies TO.  There is a lot at Microsoft's site and many others that does not apply to Windows of any version.  If you don't recognize what's in that "Applies To" statement, then it's not for you.

I don't know what IIS 7.0 meant. I assumed this was the ID of the server. Is Microsoft the owner of IIS 7.0? Or does IIS 7.0 apply to something other than the Server?

IIS is a server software from Microsoft.  Think of it as comparable to Windows on your home or business computer.

This is the error message I receive when I try to access the log into the web site where I experienced my problem.

Server Error

501 -  [...]

That right there says "not your fault" and nothing you can do on your computer will help. 

This all Greek to me. I do know that the software for this webpage was provided by Jonas Software. I have logged into this web site hundreds of times. Then it stopped working. Do you think that I should look to Jonas Software for a solution.

Yes, the 501 error is a problem with Jonas Software's web server, and yes, they would be the ones to contact if you know how to do so.  Most likely they were either upgrading or making changes to protect from attacks, and somebody messed up the configuration.

BTW, they have several websites that all appear to be up now, as you have probably noticed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users