Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Shuts Down on Standby

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

I use Standby all the time. Recently, when resuming activity, the Internet connection is broken and I keep having to reload until it comes to life. Usually 6-8 tries does it and then back to normal. The browser page comes up but I get a panel saying "webpage not available - reload".

I do not remember this happening before, it used to come up from where I left off all alive and kicking. Is there some configuration "fix it" or settings adjustment which will  rectify this ?

Windows XP Home and Chrome.

This is what I get :-

Webpagenotavailableafterstandby_zps0f7e5

Edited by yabbadoo, 16 August 2013 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

How are you connected to the Internet?

A corrupt cookie could cause this type of issue.

Click on the button with the three horizontal bars in the upper right corner of the Chrome browser to open the menu.

Click on Settings, go to the bottom of the page and click on Show Advance Settings.

In the Privacy section click on content settings.

When the Content Settings dialog opens click on All cookies and site data, then click on Remove all.

Have you change your proxy settings?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

@ DC3 - Dakota ?

How are you connected to the Internet?

By Ethernet and Modem.

Have you change your proxy settings?

NO.

All the other I have done - cleared all cookies, but site cookies will only come back and cannot do this regularly. No solution.

My settings are :-

Keep local data only until I quit my browser

Block third-party cookies and site data

Show all images (recommended)

Allow all sites to run JavaScript (recommended)

These settings have never been changed since I had Chrome many months ago.

Browsing history, cache, cookies and download history are  all auto-deleted on browser shutdown.

My saved cookies have not been changed for a long time.

All of this is when I have BC  loaded on screen. I will next go on Standby with Google Home Page and see if that is different. Then I will try Hibernate and see if I get the same problem.

Thanks

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hibernate stores the data on the hard disc in a systems file called hiberfil.sys residing in the root folder. standby stores the data in RAM.

I have tried Hibernate and on return, the webpage comes up instead of the panel showed in my previous post. Only done a few ops on this, so early days. I will  see how it goes.

If Hibernate does solve the problem, then it all boils down to the method of storage, but the downside is that it never used to foul up on Standby until recently. No real help since I want to use Standby.

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hibernate never made any difference. Back to the  drawing board.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Are you still running Google Chrome?

Have you tried a different browser?

My saved cookies have not been changed for a long time.

You need to delete all of your cookies.  As you are aware those cookies will load as soon as you go to the website you are saving them for.  We need to be able to rule out that a corrupt cookie is causing this.

How old is this installation of XP?

Another possible cause is malware.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
  • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
  • Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
    • 669 posts
    •  
    • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hi. I hope i can comment in this thread.  I am not entirely sure but sorry if I should not. 

yabba... 

Just wanted to add my personal experience with Standby vs. Hibernate. Standby was really bad for me (talking work laptop here). I was using it constantly because, for one thing, the laptop wouldn't hold battery charge long enough to get home when I left each day.  Standby was causing lots of issues with both my processing, my speed, and mainly fragmenting the you know what out of everything else *wink* 

So they ('they' is IT) took it and gave me a new HD, new keyboard, new screen, new connection between screen and board, new sound card, AND new extended battery cuz it had 1 day left under warranty and, well, it was all messed up.

After they did all this and reinstalled Windows, etc. I determined to not use Standby anymore, and now I just close the lid, and it goes to sleep, or rather I think the setting is Hibernate.  That seems to work much better for me. 

So that's my experience...

Maybe @dc3 can say what the differences are between the two methods or recommend the best way each night. I only restart like every 3 weeks or so, that's just how I work on this machine. Don't ask how much stuff I have open. It's a wonder it spins.  LOL j/k

#8 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
    • Topic Starter

• Banned
    • 510 posts
    •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

@ dc3

Are you still running Google Chrome?
    YES

Have you tried a different browser?
    NO, but I will try Firefox just for curiosity. Will let you know how it goes

How old is this installation of XP?
    2002 and it works superbly with absolutely no problems. Replacement is not an option.

Another possible cause is malware.
    Negative. My  computer is clean. I use Sandboxie for all browsing and regularly scan with either MBAM, Emsisoft AM or AVG 2013. All scans are always clean. I also have SpywareBlaster installed and MS Malicious Software Removal Tool. Also check for Rootkits with Kaspersky TDSSKiller as well as with the other scanner programs. very quick scan, sometimes use two of them for kicks.

100 % confident - NO malware. I have not had anything other than piffling infections for years.

Your help is greatly appreciated - thank you very much.

Just a point - All cookies are cleared on browser shutdown as I said earlier,  except my saved cookies, all  from very reputable sites and not many of them either. So any currupt cookie which may have existed cannot affect any action of  return from Standby - it was killed off on closure.

I was going to post the following separately, but will place it here for convenience. What  do you think ?

I saw on the web a suggestion to uncheck the network adapter from being turned off by the computer by Standby. Have not tried it yet - any comments other than try it ?

Control Panel>Admin.Tools>Computer Management>Device Manager>Network Adapters>RT click NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet>Properties>Power Management

Uncheck "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power">OK

Not at all sure what this means in practical terms or what power is being saved or vice versa, being used when on Standby.

Edited by yabbadoo, 17 August 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
    • 30,612 posts
    •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

Please try the different browser first.  If multiple changes are made and a problem arises it will be difficult to pin down the real culprit.

#10 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
    • Topic Starter

• Banned
    • 510 posts
    •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Please try the different browser first.  If multiple changes are made and a problem arises it will be difficult to pin down the real culprit.

You are the only one trying to help on this matter and I very much appreciate it..

On these kind of problems, it is not good enough to shrug them off as unidentified objects or just a nuisance and walk on by, that is not what tecnical people are trained to do.

YES, I am going to give Firefox a good bashing. So far I have tried FF for a few hours and numerous Standby`s with no problem, it returned immediately to the open site. Went back to Chrome and for a while  it was OK, then back came the problem.

I am now going to give FF a long try.

I am beginning to suspect that Chrome has a problem with Standby. IF that is the case, I will  still use Chrome as my working browser, but will not settle until I know why it  does not like Standby. It has to be something simple and silly like many mysteries.

Although many people say they have had trouble with Standby, to me that is simply gossip until I see the technical reasons and proof why a proven and long retained system like the MS Windows Standby facility does not work, or in fact why a reputable brand new browser like Google Chrome is not compatible with Windows. There is a reason.

I find all this a little hard to chew. Technically it is not gelling at all  and bordering on guesswork.

"I will return" as Macarthur said.

Yabba

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 August 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
    • 30,612 posts
    •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

There could have been a problem with the download of Chrome.  Try uninstalling it, then reinstall it to see if this is the case.

Just for the record, I'm running Windows 7 with Chrome which occasionally will freeze my computer.  This doesn't happen with Firefox, so I know that the freeze is related to Chrome.

#12 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
    • Topic Starter

• Banned
    • 510 posts
    •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

There could have been a problem with the download of Chrome.  Try uninstalling it, then reinstall it to see if this is the case.

Just for the record, I'm running Windows 7 with Chrome which occasionally will freeze my computer.  This doesn't happen with Firefox, so I know that the freeze is related to Chrome.

I may try a reinstall later if it bugs me too much, you could be  right. Many cases of reinstall often cure  problems. The download and instal is NOT as simple as it sounds, all signals have to be green. It is a team effort between the user and the system and teams do not  always win.

Have you any idea if  Larry Page and Sergey Brin know about all these troubles ?

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 August 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
    • 30,612 posts
    •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Is this a home computer?

If it is, I don't understand where there would be a problem with uninstalling Chrome, use Firefox to download Chrome and reinstall it.

Have you any idea if  Larry Page and Sergey Brin know about all these troubles ?

I personally don't know if they are aware of these issue, but with the number of people reporting problems I would be very surprised if they are not aware of it.

#14 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
    • Topic Starter

• Banned
    • 510 posts
    •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Is this a home computer?

If it is, I don't understand where there would be a problem with uninstalling Chrome, use Firefox to download Chrome and reinstall it.

I personally don't know if they are aware of these issue, but with the number of people reporting problems I would be very surprised if they are not aware of it.

That`s a real Google Giggle. They don`t give a fig, sitting in their luxury mansions in the Bahamas swigging pink champagne and looking at their astronomic fortunes escalating exponentially on theit Laptops.

My computer ? Just a box on the floor to me. Have a look at my profile and see if you can see anything that makes sense.

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 August 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#15 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
    • Topic Starter

• Banned
    • 510 posts
    •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

I have now operated Firefox on Standby all last  evening and all today with lots of ins and outs. Not once have I had the problem described in my OP.

My preliminary conclusion is this :-

Standby has no faults and works perfectly. Therefore the problem rests with Chrome.

Thus :-

Either Chrome has a fundamental design fault which is not compatible with Windows Standby operataion or some hiccup occurred during download and installation.

I have not had a single atom of evidence that Chrome installed badly. Updates and operations are perfect.

So I am afraid at the moment Chrome is guilty by default until proven innocent.

If  anybody can shed some technically valid reason why Chrome should behave like this, I would be very grateful. But unless I get some hard evidence which  convinces me that my copy of Chrome is faulty, I will not reinstall. It is then down to a Google design fault.

Perhaps there is some  configuration or setting in Chrome that needs attention. If there is, then I know of none. It is no good juggling around with any Windows settings or data, since Standby works perfect with Firefox, so by defintion it is entirely a Chrome matter.

Edited by yabbadoo, 18 August 2013 - 01:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users