Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Is Not Getting Any Power

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kl0wn

kl0wn

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

One of my co-workers brought me her laptop, and said it wasn't working anymore. When you plug in the charger, none of the LED lights come on and it will not power up. I have removed the battery and re-seated it. I have tried wiggling the cord where it plugs into the computer and slowly moving it in and out to find that "sweet spot". Nothing has worked. I am thinking it has to be the charger and/or battery or possibly the a/c adapter where it connects to the motherboard. I did look at the adapter and it doesn't appear to have a broken connection. I do not have another computer with a battery or charger to try out on it. Before I order a battery and charger, is there anything else that could possibly cause this? This is a Gateway, model M-6827, running Windows Vista. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

you can use a volt meter to test the power brick to see what you are getting on the end that plugs into the laptop. Voltage should be marked on brick, usually around 19 volts dc.

#3 kl0wn

kl0wn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

All right, checked that out. The brick reads 19v and it's getting 19.45v at the plug

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

brick delivers power ...... sometime input jack on laptop breaks solder connection (your "sweet spot")... involves opening laptop to test backside of input jack to see if voltage is reaching the motherboard ... the issue could also involve the power button itself

#5 kl0wn

kl0wn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

10-4 thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users