Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix download problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beep beep

Beep beep

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

When I click on Combofix download I only get Run Cancel not Run Save Cancel.  If I click on the yellow framed box to Run or Save, it does not save the red icon Combofix to the desktop for something else.  I need to get this right because I am very inexperienced and have been instructed to drag another log into Combofix.  I want to be sure I have the right programme.  I am being offered a fast wizard to download which is not mentioned in Bleeping Computer`s guide to downloading Combofix.

Grateful for any advice. Sorry if I am being particularly dumb or overcautious.

Beep beep

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Since you say you are being instructed. I would suggest you discuss this issue with whomever is presently instructing you. There may be an underlying reason for this behavior with downloading ComboFix. Any suggestions we may make, have the potential to nullify any steps previously taken by the individual/s already assisting you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Beep beep

Beep beep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

Thankyou for taking the time to comment. The link to Bleeping Computer was given me as part of my instruction and I was trying to save my adviser time and trouble by opening Combofix without bothering her about it. . I am aware you can`t have two different people advising you at once but I didn`t think opening Combofix was part of my problem. We are getting round it.

Thankyou again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

...We are getting round it.

Glad to hear that.

For others reading this topic:

If you were advised to run ComboFix by a trained expert at another security forum then you need to contact that person for assistance when an issue prevents you from following their instructions. That Helper should be able to address any problems you encounter when downloading or running the tool as they should have the knowledge and resources to do so. Your Helper should also have access to private discussion threads related to issues when running ComboFix and access to the developer if need be. In addition to what Animal advised, I would add that following advice from others outside of a topic where you are already receiving assistance may cause confusion and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

In addition to the above, we do not know the specific circumstances of your situation, the original problem causing you to seek assistance there or what instructions you have already been provided. All that information is important and necessary for those assisting with malware removal issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users