Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I do to get these files back?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 234Ernestine

234Ernestine

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

This is my first time to post a question here. This problem is driving me nuts! Please, help me!

I have a WD external hard drive that is working well all the time. But, yesterdays, my little brother accidentally dropped it from the 2 feet high desk. And then, it probably stopped working. Every time I inserted to my computer, it could not be displayed in “My Computer”. So, the inner contained files also became inaccessible. But, some of them are really important for me. I don’t want to lose them. Please, tell me how I can get these files back. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

What is the exact model of the external drive?  For some reason I think I remember reading that a few WD externals use a proprietary HD connector internally to the housing.

Your options:  If you are lucky, the housing/interface is toast and you can get a USB-hard drive adapter, or a docking port to recover files.  Not so lucky, if the internal connector on the hard drive isn't a standard SATA, you will need to grab another external hard drive of the same model, and swap the hard drive in the housing.  Really, really unlucky, the hard drive has sustained internal damage and will need to be sent to a professional recovery service.

You are kind of lucky as the hard drive isn't being seen at all.  If it was seen, and you had read/write errors, then you could assume a damaged hard drive.  The fact that nothing appears when it is hooked up gives me a little hope the housing itself, or the internal connections are damaged/loose.

Either way, first step, make sure it powers up.  If it uses a regular USB cable, swap it out to verify the cable is OK, plug it into a different USB port also. (I am assuming it was plugged in to your system when it was knocked around).  Sometimes ports and cables get damaged when they get yanked on.  After that, grab a screwdriver, and whatever tamperproof bits you need to take the housing apart to inspect the internals, connectors and the hard drive itself.

After that, then further decisions can be made.

Edited by dpunisher, 15 August 2013 - 10:25 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users