Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bandwidth Drain

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Federal Farmer

Federal Farmer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hello everyone. I have a Dell Latitude and am using Hughesnet. I don't care for them, but it's the only service available in my area. I have a 10 GB allowance per month. In the past, I would normally use 200-300 MB per day. However, the last time my allowance reset, I noticed large amounts of bandwidth being downloaded even when I wasn't using the computer, and the 10 GB were gone within 4 days. I had Bitmeter installed and determined that Hughesnet is not at fault. I believe that there may be some sort of virus on my computer but am not sure. Full scans with Norton, Superantispyware, and Malewarebytes have only found cookies. If anyone here could recommend a different anti-virus or some other possible remedy for this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:46 AM

Do you use a router for this service or is this the only computer connected? Or maybe have you started a service such as dropbox, google drive, skydrive, netflix, carbonite recently?

netlimiter might be of some interest to you as it gives you fine tuned control over programs.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

In additiion to the points the AngryRaisin has made, if you use a router do you have security enabled on it ?  If you don't have security enabled on it, and the mininum level effectively is WPA2-PSK, then you are leaving your router wide open for anyone else to use.

If you are using a router, it is easy to check if you have security enabled - and what level. Hover your cursor over the wi-fi symbol at the right hand end of your taskbar and a pop-up box will appear which lists all the routers within range. Move the cursor into this box and hover over the name of your own router and you will get another small pop-up which, among other things, tells you what level of security you have on the router.

You will find details of how to change security setting in the manual for your router which, if you haven't got a copy already, you can download from the manufacturer's web-site.

One other small point - you haven't changed your browsing habits recently have you ?  Doing things like watching 'catch-up' TV will really use up your data allowance.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Federal Farmer

Federal Farmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have a router, and security is enabled on it. I don't believe that anyone else is hacking into it, but it could be possible. I live in a rural area, and our closest neighbors are either family or friends. My usual computer usage is browsing about 5-6 news sites and perhaps 10-15 minutes of video per day. I've used that much in precious months with no problem.

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:03 AM

Have you purchased any new devices lately and connected them to the wireless network.... think smart phones, ipads, tablets, DVD/Bluray systems, Smart TV, internet radios, anything that asked you for your wireless password ... and are you the only one using this connection?  Have you given out the password to neighbors / family / friends?  If so and you don't know who / what is using what, it may be time to change your password.

I had a recent problem with a client trying to move over to cellular data but they owned 2 tablets, 2 smartphones, a desktop, and a laptop.  The data overages were a mess.

#6 Federal Farmer

Federal Farmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

There are 3 people in my house that use the internet. We haven't purchased any new devices. Changing the password sounds like a good idea. It wouldn't hurt, anyway. My gut still says it's some type of mal-ware. The bandwidth would only drain when my computer is on. When's it's completely off, there are no large bandwidth drains.

#7 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I probably should have said this in the first post - for a second opinion on malware/viruses i usually use hitman pro (http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/ ) it doesn't need to be installed and usually gives a good opinion ... not perfect but pretty good.

or eset online scanner (http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner‎ ) good but sloooow.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 17 August 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#8 Federal Farmer

Federal Farmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

My download allowance reset today. I ran Hitman Pro, and it found nothing. I had my computer on for about 2 hours, and something downloaded 400 MB during that time. Bitmeter showed high downloads with no applications or updates running. I'm just going to turn it off and have a professional look at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users