Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

speakers spewing neverending random audio

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NYdoc3120

NYdoc3120

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Even though I have no programs running, my speakers are emitting a constant flow of audio that sounds like a tv tuner. Sometimes it sounds like I have several tv channels going at once, and other times there will be only one. I've heard everything from a clip from the Hunger Games to an algebra lesson, to a news report. Last week I downloaded a VLC video player that a dean from my school encouraged everyone to get (and now everyone is dealing with malware issues). I haven't used my computer much since then because I haven't had internet. I just got the internet running so I got back to using it this afternoon. In the middle of use, the sound started, I got a blue screen of death, and it did a forced shutdown. When it started back up it did another bsod pretty much instantly and shutdown again. So the next time I started in safe mode, ran microsoft security essentials which removed a couple threats, and then followed the prompts to run a system restore to a date prior to the VLC download. After the system restore finished, the computer started back up and seems to be running normally again... with the exception of the unrelenting noise. I just opened the sound mixer and found a sound source titled "name not available" I muted it, and the sound has stopped, but I can't help but assume that it still is a sign that my computer has some problems.  Please advise as to how to take care of the situation. Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. the internet I just got activated is on a cable modem which I haven't had to use in quite some time. So my ignorant mind can't help but wonder if it is just something you get when you're connected through the cable. It's probably silly, but if that is all it is I would be greatly relieved.

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2013 - 07:44 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Right click on the task bar, open Task Manager, and check the Networking tab. If you're seeing an unusually high amount of network traffic, even if you don't have a browser open, that indicates some program on your laptop is pulling down that audio feed from over the Internet somewhere.

If you open a command prompt and type in netstat -n, it will show you all the external Internet addresses your computer has an open connection with. Same if you log into your cable modem/router: there should be a section that shows all the open connections and the IP addresses and port numbers. You may have to do some detective work. Whois searches (www.whois.net or www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp) on the IP addresses will help pin down what your computer is connecting to.

Anything that looks shady will require that you run several more antivirus scans. I would recommend Avast and Malwarebytes. If they come up positive, you'll need to move this topic over to the appropriate forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users