Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to permanently remove Bing and Suggested Sites

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jackrabbit1

jackrabbit1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

I am running windows xp pro sp3 with IE8. I have tried everything to try and remove the Bing browser and it keeps returning no matter what I do.

Does anyone have a fix for this.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

EDIT: I just remembered something where you may not have to do any of the below. I never use IE so it slipped my mind. Go into IE's options, programs, manage add-ons. Right click any crap you see there and remove it if possible or disable it if removing is not an option. I would still go to add or remove programs and see if there's any crap there.

Well, try going into add or remove programs and uninstall IE8 and any other entry with Bing or MSN. You will have to reboot afterwards and will be back to IE6. Download Internet Explorer 8 and install it. This is the original version without all that crap. When installing, have it download updates. When finished you will be asked to reboot. Go to Windows Update and run a scan to make sure everything is up to date.

To disable suggested sites, first back up your registry by following the instructions below.

Please visit http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/, download and install/unzip ERUNT. Run ERUNT, click OK at the Welcome dialog, accept the default values that are pre-filled in and pre-checked, click OK, click yes and OK when it's done.

To restore the backup at a later date, navigate to the ERDNT folder in your Windows directory, open the folder with the date you want to restore from and then click ERDNT.EXE. It will restore your registry but it needs to reboot to do so. When it asks you to do so, click yes.

Once you've backed up the registry, merge the attached reg file by double clicking it. Attached File  Suggested Sites - disabled.reg   596bytes   10 downloads

Right click the Suggested Sites Favorite in the Favorites Bar and delete it.

You may need to log off and then back on for the registry changes to take effect.

Edited by .X., 16 August 2013 - 04:13 AM.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:21 AM

I am running windows xp pro sp3 with IE8. I have tried everything to try and remove the Bing browser and it keeps returning no matter what I do.

Does anyone have a fix for this.

Thanks in advance.

Bing is not a browser. it's a search engine that comes with IE because Microsoft owns both of them. Why wouldn't you just use a different browser like Chrome or Firefox? They don't come with Bing. 

#4 jackrabbit1

jackrabbit1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:12 AM

I don't like Chrome or Firefox. There is too much privacy info that is being taken from users everyday so I use duck duck go.com.

Also I found that you cannot remove IE8 from the add remove program without first removing windows xp SP3. Once I remove SP3 then I can remove IE8 and start all over.

I thank ya'll for the inputs but it looks like it is too much trouble then it is worth to have to delete and then reload everything back. If I get frustrated enough one night , I may do it but for now will live with it.

Thanks again for your replies.

Jackrabbit

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

The easy solution...is just to go to IE...Tools/Internet Options...Manage Add-ons/Search Providers...and replace Bing with whatever your preference is.

Bing installs itself automatically as the default when doing some critical update and must be replaced (as default search option) before it can be removed.

Once you see two options for Search Provider...delete Bing.  It's gone forever unless you reinstall it.

I use IE so I know your irritation :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users