Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR Is Missing When A Fresh Copy of Windows XP Professional Is Installed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo770

Gizmo770

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yeah. Exactly in the subject. My dad has entrusted my with the task of trying to fix his old IBM computer. Actually, he really doesn't care anymore, he just said if I can fix it, that would be good. So I loaded my installation copy into a USB using WinUSB Maker (Beta 2, if you need to know.), and it worked. My USB loaded into the laptop fine, and it actually installed. After the setup finished, which took more than 30 minutes, I restarted the computer as it probably said, after after boot from the USB, it stated NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart. Tried again WITHOUT the USB, and it still had the same results, instead of it being "Any Key", it was Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I dunno what's going on.

The boot order is as follows,

1. USB HDD (My USB).

2. USB FDD

3. Legacy Floppy Drives

4. ATAPI CDO (Buncha numbers that probably is the serial...)

5. IDE HDDO

7. PCI LAN

8. IDE HDD1

EXCLUDED FROM BOOT ORDER

IDE HDD2

ATAPI CD1

The weirdest thing is that NTLDR is ON the setup USB I made. I don't know why it can't find it... Below are the main items and folders that are on the drive:

$WIN_NT$.~BT

$WIN_NT$.~LS

cmpnents

DOCS

I386

SUPPORT

VALUEADD

$LDR$

AUTORUN

IO.SYS

LAST SESSION

LAST SESSION_U

MSDOS.SYS

NTDETECT

NTLDR (Wow, really?)

README

SETUP

SETUPXP

SMARTDRV

TXTSETUP.SIF

WIN51

WIN51IP

WIN51IP.SP2

WIN51IP.SP3

When the internet actually comes to a close, whenever that happens, just think, how will we live?

~(Myself) Gizmo770

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Well...did you try to install via USB...a second time?

Did you run a diagnostic on the hard drive before attempting the install?

What is the source used to attempt the install?  What is "my installation copy"?  For what system, provided by a system manufacturer...or a Genuine XP System Builder or retail disk?

Louis

#3 Gizmo770

Gizmo770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

No, I did not run a diagnostic, and the computer originally ran Windows XP. Professional if I recall correctly. I had no idea what the problem was with it, with the only clue of NTLDR is missing on boot. My dad had stated that there is no OS and it is a new hard drive. I don't know if that's exactly true, but I have already tried various NTLDR fixes online, none of which that work. Not working meaning, well, other system files were missing which was stated by the computer. I was able to run DOS with a USB drive I affixed with DOS, so at least I know that works. The computer, for all I know for now, is an IBM Thinkpad from around 2004, I think... My friend gave me his own XP installation disc, in which I copied the ISO on to my computer and gave back to him. It's literally a retail box with the installation disc of Windows XP Professional included with Service Pack 3. Don't worry about the serial code, I have that covered.

When the internet actually comes to a close, whenever that happens, just think, how will we live?

~(Myself) Gizmo770

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'm not worried about any of this :), just trying to understand why a new install comes up with that error.

FWIW:  No legal copy of XP comes in .iso format, AFAIK.  If your friend burned the .iso from a legit copy of XP Pro...you should not have the situation you currently have...or the .iso was burned improperly.

Louis

#5 Gizmo770

Gizmo770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

No, I burned it from his legit copy, so why is it that the error shows up, ATM, I am trying to re-install it. Blue Screen saying "Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard disk.", with files it is copying at the bottom right. A couple of seconds ago, I saw NTLDR, so that's probably a good sign and right now at 6:05, it is at 5 percent.

~(Myself) Gizmo770

#6 Gizmo770

Gizmo770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

If this fails, yet again, would installing Linux, then installing XP on top be a viable option?

~(Myself) Gizmo770

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

Installing Linux is always a good option...

#8 Gizmo770

Gizmo770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Well...did you try to install via USB...a second time?

I just tried that and the second time, it still came up with the same problem. BTW, I changed the boot order to default as well, and it still didn't work. Boot from either one, USB or actual hard drive, still, NTLDR is missing. Press X to restart.

~(Myself) Gizmo770

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

I've heard of that problem before and think it has something to do with the boot loader not pointing to the first hard drive. Try another install XP from USB tool.

Here, I just copied and pasted all my USB bookmarks below. Sorry about the formatting

[Tutorial] Install Windows XP From USB in a simple way - Tutorials - reboot.pro Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way WinUSB Maker - Josh Cell Softwares Help with install from USB - Install Windows from USB - MSFN Forum USB Drive Preparation - Windows XP - Page 3 Used thumb drive to install xp...now does not boot without it - MSFN Forum After USB install, won't boot w/o usb - MSFN Forum #6 [Help with install from USB: post #6] SATA Drivers #4 Rufus USB flash drives Easily Boot Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from a USB flash drive | USB Pen Drive Linux How to Install Windows xp using USB Flash Disk | Jcmiras.Net_02 4 Ways to Make a USB Bootable - wikiHow how to check if a usb is bootable - Google Search Install Windows 8 From a USB Drive, Dual-boot with XP, Vista and 7 - TechSpot Guides [Release] Siginet's PLoP USB Boot Manager Installer

Try Rufus first.

#10 Gizmo770

Gizmo770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Also, I have an 8 Gig PNY USB flash drive. I wonder if the two times I tried to install Windows XP are still stored in the hard drive.... 0_0

Edited by Gizmo770, 16 August 2013 - 09:51 AM.

~(Myself) Gizmo770

#11 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Not in any real sense if you deleted the files or formatted the disk.

#12 Gizmo770

Gizmo770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

I've heard of that problem before and think it has something to do with the boot loader not pointing to the first hard drive. Try another install XP from USB tool.
Here, I just copied and pasted all my USB bookmarks below. Sorry about the formatting

[Tutorial] Install Windows XP From USB in a simple way - Tutorials - reboot.pro Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way WinUSB Maker - Josh Cell Softwares Help with install from USB - Install Windows from USB - MSFN Forum USB Drive Preparation - Windows XP - Page 3 Used thumb drive to install xp...now does not boot without it - MSFN Forum After USB install, won't boot w/o usb - MSFN Forum #6 [Help with install from USB: post #6] SATA Drivers #4 Rufus USB flash drives Easily Boot Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from a USB flash drive | USB Pen Drive Linux How to Install Windows xp using USB Flash Disk | Jcmiras.Net_02 4 Ways to Make a USB Bootable - wikiHow how to check if a usb is bootable - Google Search Install Windows 8 From a USB Drive, Dual-boot with XP, Vista and 7 - TechSpot Guides [Release] Siginet's PLoP USB Boot Manager Installer

Try Rufus first.

This worked, thanks man. Mods, close this thread if you need. :) Thanks everyone.
EDIT: New problem with the hardware. Please take a look at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504684/i-cant-find-the-wireless-hardware-in-windows-xp/

Edited by Gizmo770, 16 August 2013 - 10:27 PM.

~(Myself) Gizmo770

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users