Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt ntoskrnl, and no XP CD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smdamd

smdamd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I'm having trouble locating the solution.  I realize that I need to expand/copy the corrupt file from the CD, but it's tough when I can't find the CD.  Any other options?  Can I create a usable CD some other way?  Running XP Home.  Thanks a bunch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

You can get the file from the latest ntoskrnl update. Download Security Update for Windows XP (KB2859537)

I presume you are not able to boot the computer and you are at a different computer. If so, download it to your desktop, click start, run, browse, browse to the file and double click it. The path will now be in the run box. Add a space and /x after .exe and press enter. A dialog with your desktop path will be shown. Add a \ and a folder name after Desktop. I suggest KB2859537 for the folder name. Press OK and the files will be extracted to that folder. In the SP3QFE folder, you will find the file.

#3 smdamd

smdamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for the info, I was able to get a copy of the file from another XP machine, but it didn't solve the problem.  I might try the download anyway, but I'm not sure if it will help at this point.  I wasn't quite ready to migrate to Win 7 or 8, still hoping I can fix this problem.  I was able to boot via hirensbootcd at least, but still no go from the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users