Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Space Chic

Space Chic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/434245/usb-hard-drive-issue/ - Hamluis.

daic, I am having the exact same issue with a MAXTOR One Touch 2 external drive I inherited from a previous employee. 

It is attached to my computer and on.  It shows up in Computer Management -> Storage as Disk 1, Not Initialized and Unallocated.  I can also see it under Printers and Devices.  It has no drive letter.  We don't care if we have to reformat it and we don't care if we lose the data, if any.  We just want to be able to use it.

When I right-click and select Initialize, bot the MBR and GUID options return the "Incorrect Function" error.

Were you able to get it to work?

Does anyone have the solution to this?

Space Chic

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2013 - 01:11 PM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

I would run a hard drive diagnostic on it...the drive may be functionally failing.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/191131en

Louis

#3 Space Chic

Space Chic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thank you Louis, I create a Linux GParted (open source) bootable cd and I can see the drive and it comes up as unpartitioned. When I try to create a partition on it, I get an input/output error. I am beginning to think the drive has failed. The previous user said he put a password on it, then reformatted the drive to remove all the data and the password. We have discovered that he also deleted the MBR.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

How did you try to create a partition?  Exactly what did you do?

IME, input/output errors are often the result of loose connections/cables...or failing drives.

Manufacturer and model of the drive?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#5 Space Chic

Space Chic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

I was not able to create a partition, I am unable to do anything with the drive.  I ran demsg and it returned several bad sectors. I ran fdisk to try to create a label and it was unsuccessful.  I ran Seagates SeaTools and it returned read several errors.  I tried other USB ports with the same results.  We gave up and ordered a new 1TB external Western Digita for $100.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

:thumbup2: , sounds to me like you were thorough enough in your efforts...and made the right decision to move on.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#7 Space Chic

Space Chic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Thank you for your assistance! :killcomp:

0 user(s) are reading this topic