Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to open my PST

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Social Jeevi

Social Jeevi

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hi,

I have a PST which I used in my laptop. I am not using it anymore but I need to use the PST which I created in my laptop. I have a new desktop and I have used outlook express in my laptop and I am using outlook 2007 in my new desktop.

I tried to use the File> Open> Outlook data file option and I am getting the error like this in the picture.

1_zpsf846a5f3.jpg

I tried to double click on the file and I am getting error like this.

2_zps6c996bf8.jpg

Steps I have tried

1.Giving full permission in security options

2. Scan PST

3.unblocking the file in file properties.

All the helps are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Regards

Social Jeevi

Follow me on twitter: @socialjeevi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

You may have to use a third-party .pst recovery tool.

See this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-outlook/outlook-will-not-open-says-outlook2pst-is-not-a/45ad03a1-d928-4965-be71-1390654af2e3

Also, since you are importing an Outlook Express .pst file, the process is a bit different. You need to launch the import wizard, choose import Internet mail account settings, then chose Microsoft Outlook Express, and proceed from there.

Edited by sflatechguy, 15 August 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

So you are trying to use the .pst file from your old computer on your new computer correct?

Have you tried this? Go to c:\users\{your user name}\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook I believe is where the .pst is located at, and copy your old .pst over top of the new .pst file. Then open up Outlook and see if you have all of your emails and contacts.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 Social Jeevi

Social Jeevi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

sflatechguy: Could you mention the name of the third party tool which I can use?

Regards

Social Jeevi

#5 Social Jeevi

Social Jeevi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Chrisd87: I have tried that. but I did not mention it believing it is a blunter. 

Regards

Social Jeevi

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

There are a number of them out there. SysTools is one; you can do a Google search and come up with a number of other options.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

I suspect the problem is that Outlook express does not use a .pst file. I do not know where You got that .pst unless you had loaded outlook and set it up.

See here. http://www.file-extensions.org/dbx-file-extension

The *.dbx files are used for storing users messages. Outlook Express saves *.dbx files in a folder on your computer. To find this folder, open outlook express and select the maintenance option (tools → options → maintenance).

In this folder, you may find a number of *.dbx files. Outlook Express creates a *.dbx file for each message folder in Outlook Express. So inbox.dbx will contain emails from your inbox for example.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 August 2013 - 01:18 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users