Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk read error hp tower

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rockandrolla

rockandrolla

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hello, I have a hp pavllion 512n tower and I recently received a disk read error. I tried to go into the setup screen and change everything to default and saved but It didn’t help. Is there anything I can do to try and fix my computer? Step by Step instructions would be amazing! Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

A disk read error can be happened due to a failing hard drive, defective hard drive cabling or a damaged "Master Boot Record". Please follow the below steps one by one.

:step1: Replace the Hard drive Data cable and reset the power connection.

ide-cables.jpg

If you don't have a spare cable, borrow the optical drive cable for testing.

:step2: Run a full surface scan of the hard drive.

1. Download Seatool disc image from the below link.

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

2. Burn the ISO to a blank disc using Imgburn.

Download link : http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

3. Boot from the CD and run a long test with the tool.

seatools-2.png

Report whether it detects any errors during the scan. Alternatively, after the test finished, take a snapshot of the screen using a digital cam or smart phone and post it in the next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 August 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Just to add:

If it is the original hard drive, chances are your hard drive is toast.  There is always the possibility the cable might be bad, or the port on the board is.   It's just I have run across hundreds of bad hard drives, and maybe 2-3 bad PATA cables over the decades. If possible, unplug the data cable from your hard drive, and hook up the cable from your CD/DVD drive to the hard drive.  Don't unplug cables from your motherboard.  I tell you this because you will kill 2 birds with one stone, testing the cable and the port at the same time.  No need to hook up the optical drive when you are testing the hard drive.

If you still don't get anything after swapping ports/cables, then you have a decision to make.  If you need to recover data from the drive, any additional scanning/diagnostics will likely cause additional data loss if there is damage to the heads/platters.  If you do need to recover data, do that first, then test to your heart's content.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users