Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! computer won't boot error: 0xc000021a

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scratchcomposite

scratchcomposite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Help!

My PC worked this morning but when I returned from work it now displays on the main Windows load up screen.

"fatal error c0000034 applying update operation 3 of 20816 (_00000...)"

It then says that PC ran into problem and needs to restart and displays error message 0xc000021a

Automatic repair/Diagnosing pc screen runs but then stats it can't repair it. It gives other options like a refresh etc which I tried.

Also mentions Log file D:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

I don't have a recovery or back up and I have some very important music files I have been working on so cannot do a reboot.  

Please help!!!

Graeme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 live_pc_expert

live_pc_expert

• Banned
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

Start the computer in Safe Mode -
Start Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges -
Type the command -

a. DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
b. cd to Windows\WinSxS folder
c. move pending.xml pending.old

Restart the computer in Normal Mode and you will be able to work in the
computer else again start the computer in Safe Mode and try to perform a
System Restore to a working date

#3 scratchcomposite

scratchcomposite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thanks very much...away for the weekend but will give it a try when I get back! Appreciate the help

#4 alexCHIPS

alexCHIPS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Trying this today. Sitting at a screen:

Failure configuring Windows Updates

Reverting Changes

Do not turn off your computer

This happened after my Windows Updates had run.

I will post back if this worked.

Thanks!

#5 alexCHIPS

alexCHIPS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Believe it or not, after looking through about 20-25 articles and 3-4 hours of searching this is the ONLY fix that WORKS!

If you can't get into Safemode, go into the advanced recovery console that Windows 8 has embedded, navigate advanced options and to the command prompt and run the commands above.

Thank you!

#6 cryptic99

cryptic99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

Believe it or not, after looking through about 20-25 articles and 3-4 hours of searching this is the ONLY fix that WORKS!
If you can't get into Safemode, go into the advanced recovery console that Windows 8 has embedded, navigate advanced options and to the command prompt and run the commands above.

Thank you!

Hey Alex or PC expert,

I am trying this from the command prompt. I am novice at computer stuff, I assume I type line A(in the above post) then enter before I type in line B and again for C. When typing the A line I get the message

"Unable to access the image.
Make sure the image path and the Windows directory for the image exist and you have Read permissions on the folder."

Any suggestions? Alex, once fixed did you run into the problem again? Thanks for any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users