Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yet another Memory question...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hoahao

hoahao

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

I have a four year old Asus CM5570 running 64 bit Vista with a Pent. dual core 2.6 ghz CPU.  It has four memory slots with three being used, one vacant.  Each of the three slots has a 2 Gig DDR-2 stick running at 800 Mhz that came with the computer.  The motherboard supports four gig stick 800Mhz per slot for a possible 16 gig of RAM total.

The computer runs fine, but looking forward, I think I'd like to maybe upgrade the DDR-2 ram now rather then later.  My thought was to at least add one stick of 2 gig ram to the existing vacant slot.  My question is, can I drop in a 4 gig stick of DDR 2 800 Mhz, giving me a 66% increase, without touching the existing 3 slots of 2 gig each??  Do I need to get a pair of 4 gig sticks to get it to work??  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

If you use a dual channel motherboard, installing like pairs into the slots yields the biggest performance gains, but they have to be identical.  However, you can simply drop-in another stick and not have issues.  What exactly are you going to be using the PC for?  For a gaming PC, 8GB is usually more than enough, for a PC running scientific calculations or rendering, 16GB or more is best.  For a standard home PC, 4GB is all you really need, anything more is often overkill unless you keep tons of programs or windows open at once.

3939.png

#3 hoahao

hoahao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Basically, I just surf the web.  I don't think I've ever seen the memory guage pegged at more the 55% so I probably don't ever need to do anything.  It's just I'm a bit worried that DDR 2 might disappear or become more expensive as the industry moves away from it.  Right now, I'm at 46% with just windows and my various anti virus and browser and what ever else is running I don't know about.  I'll probably throw a 2 gig stick in and call it a day.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users