Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Protection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Beaumonts

Beaumonts

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

I am looking for some software which will protect files/folders from been copied or deleted from a USB or how to protect files/folders from been copied or deleted from USB.

I want to put some files/folders (powerpoint docs) onto a USB and allow somebody to work and save these files/folders but only to save them onto the USB nowhere else i also don't want them to be able to copy the files/folders from the USB or be able to attach these to an e-mail.

If anybody knows of any software like that?  Or if there is a way to protect the files/folders still allowing them to worked on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Such software cannot exist. If the user has physical access to the USB stick, and plug it into a machine to which they have administrative rights, they can undo any protection a program might place on the data.

You can prevent them from reading the data by encrypting it, but they can still destroy the data.

There are USB sticks which have physical security mechanisms, which do things like not actually connect themselves unless a password is entered. But these are usually all-or-nothing affairs. That is, you get full access to the USB stick, or no access at all.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users