Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to repair a corrupted Excel file?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 harishr4you

harishr4you

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

Team ,

this is my second doubt ... Please help me guys... 

I have a corrupted excel file. in the sense , when I try to open my excel file , it says it is corrupted and the file has some Unsupported data and if i proceed to open, it says the Unsupported data cannot be repaired or removed.

Am using Excel 2007 version. Windows 7 Ultimate.

Any idea if we can fix it ?.. Please suggest me something to recover my file.

Thanx in advance..

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2013 - 07:39 PM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

If you right click the excel file that you are trying to open and go to properties-previous versions, do you have any previous versions that you can roll back to? Also have you tried to do a system restore back to a date where the excel file was working properly?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 beetel30

beetel30

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Team ,

this is my second doubt ... Please help me guys... 

I have a corrupted excel file. in the sense , when I try to open my excel file , it says it is corrupted and the file has some Unsupported data and if i proceed to open, it says the Unsupported data cannot be repaired or removed.

Am using Excel 2007 version. Windows 7 Ultimate.

Any idea if we can fix it ?.. Please suggest me something to recover my file.

Thanx in advance..

Use Kernel for Excel File Repair tool to repair your corrupted excel file and restore it's data to re access using proficient application.

#4 harishr4you

harishr4you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thank you for the reply chrisd87. But I don't have a previous version of office with me. I have only 2007 version installed the computer.

I haven't tried doing the system restore.  I wasn't sure if that will work or not. Will try that if you suggest.

Beetel30, do you the Kernel Excel-Repair software or ? Am sorry that am not familiar with this. If the system restore doesn't work shall I do that or before doing a system restore I need to run this application? Sorry for this question.

Please suggest.

Thank you for the reply Beetel30 as well.. :)

Awaiting for the suggestions.. Thank you so much for the replies and suggestions... Thank you...

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

You don't need a previous version of office to restore the file. It simply restores a previous copy of the file. See if you have one by right clicking on your corrupted file and going to properties. Then go to previous versions, and see if anything shows up on the list. A restore won't hurt to try either. Restore back to a previous date where the file was working successfully.

Check out this link to see if it will help you with the process.

Edited by chrisd87, 17 August 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#6 harishr4you

harishr4you
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Thank you so much guys.. that worked out...

Thanx alot... :)

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

You could try something like this or this. Earlier versions of excel you could simply just convert it to an earlier version of excel and it would break the password. Newer versions of excel are now encrypted causing it to be very hard to break the password on the file. This is why password protecting a document is never a good idea and ntfs permissions should be used instead.

Edited by chrisd87, 05 September 2013 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users