Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitors - Probably A Stupid Question...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

When I have my laptop running a second screen then what happens is that the outside screen becomes Master (for want of a better word) and the Laptop screen becomes Slave. In other words my desktop with all the icons etc are no longer on the laptop screen, they are on the external screen.

Soon as I unplug the external screen the desktop reverts back to the laptop screen. Small point but annoying nonetheless. I want the external screen to be extra and the laptop screen to be Primary. Dang thing does not seem to want to do it my way. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

Depending on how the video driver is written you may be able to do this. It works with my older ATI Radeon 7500 card.

Right-click on any place on the desktop where there is no icon and choose Properties. Now click the settings tab. If you see a diagram with drawings of 2 screens, 1 and 2, click and drag the screen 2 block to the left side of the screen 1 block. Mine asks if you want to enable this 2nd monitor. Answer 'yes'. You may have to do this every time the external monitor is running and then change it back again before you disconnect it.

Your driver may not work exactly this way, but the card/chip obviously has dual monitor capability built in, so it should have a utility to change the setup.

#3 Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:34 PM

Thanks,

I'll try it (thing is driving me nuts!)

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

Are you running the ATI drivers? If so there is a simple way of doing this... Well for a desktop anyways but shouldn't be much different with a laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users