Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back Again!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 him2

him2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:53 AM

Hi people,

This is my third visit here in the last two years!

Once again, I was caught by a P.U.P. program.

I had to enrol again lost all sorts of info.....

I do clean my PC's regularly, and always have MSoft's  basic security running.

But these rotten Pups get me regularly and I've just realised why:

They all have some form of Microsoft APPROVAL.

(A bit like those Heart Foundation ticks!)

The big swines are those offering Security/Antivirus programs that SOUND like this good Site here,

followed by the Directory Addons.

Anyway, once again the guys here saved my bacon!

BIG, BIG THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer, Glad to see you found enough helpful content that You joined.

If I may make a suggestion, it seems that You may need to add something along the lines of Malwarebytes Pro that provides active protection in addition to your Antivirus.

You might also find something such as Web of Trust helpful if You do much searching in Google.

http://www.mywot.com/

Add WOT to your browser to protect yourself from online threats that anti-virus software can’t spot

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 him2

him2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

Hi Roger,

Actually on the latest trashing of my machine I did have both Malwarebytes, WOT and MSE.

Nothing saved me .

On tracking back I simply got conned by several programs that use the "Microsoft Certified" trick.

On my hate list now are several like Babylon, Directory Bar switchers etc.

A big one to watch out for are of course, anti-virus programs and System Repair ones..................

YOUR systems here found dozens and dozens of these things on my system - pages of reports!

The only thing left to do after reading about how good the swines have become with everything from fake PayPal and MY Bank (!)  is to get out of the swamp and install VBox with Linux in it and NEVER go out there again with my (Microsoft) pants down.

But, as usual - it all looks easy till you try and install these things......

I will have to keep Windoze as the Host as I NEED Dragon dictation (I'm a writer, not a tech and getting too old to keep up anyway)

The one small benefit from the trashing is that it is now a 5x faster machine!

Cheers from Downunder,

Himagain.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Not much You can do sometimes.

Social Engineering to get you to install their junk is all too often successful.

Another one to look out for is all to often Google when looking for Tech Support, will return paid advertisements and below that area too that also that try and trick you into thinking they are the manufacturers tech support. A close look will reveal the truth. They do that to extract Your Money.

For example, these come up when looking for Dell Tech Support, Note that none of them are the real www.dell.com. Note the tricky website addresses all have the word Dell in them to help mislead.

Spaces added to break link w w w.qresolve.c o m/Dell-Support

dell-help-desk.techhelpapps.c o m/

dell_support.dialtech247.c o m/

They really out to get You.

I have been known to reload my computers every now and then as that is when the run the best.

Cheers

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 August 2013 - 01:13 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 him2

him2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

Hi Roger,

Yes, they are getting very clever now, but I have been obviously an old sucker for the MSoft OK tick!

Reload - Yes!  But one needs to be diligent in making backups to do a re-install, too.

I'm thinking of going VBox with Linux in it and W7 as the Host...... again.

I did have it on an old machine which died and haven't got around to facing the job again....  :smash: 

But will start today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users