Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paypal Spyware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swtangel

swtangel

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

Yesterday, I received this email (screenshot below) from "Paypal" and clicked on the link as the sender seems to match the routine emails I get from the official Paypal notifications. I decided to log into my Paypal account immediately to see that everything was in order since I did not recall requesting a password rest and was still able to do so at that time without any problems. Then around 4 hours after I first received the email, I got another notification on my address saying that some amount of money was transferred to a paypal_department account as well as that my password and email have been changed. I tried to login my Paypal a second time but found that I was not able to do so anymore.

I called Paypal to ask for assistance regarding this issue and less than a minute after I was able to regain access to my account, I again got another notification that my password and email was once again changed! After trying to contact Paypal once again, they advised that all of the activity seems to be coming from only one IP which the agent says, means that some virus/malware/spyware has gotten into my system! Ran a virus check using the stock Microsoft Security Essentials but everything seems clean.

My Paypal is now frozen to prevent any other suspicious transactions but I still have some money that I need to withdraw from there and I am scared of doing so until I have this all sorted out. For now, I am using another laptop since it is very likely that my original laptop is infected. Any help how to remove this malicious virus/malware/spyware is truly appreciated. Thanks a lot

paypalscreenshot_zpsf04a798a.jpg

Update: Forwarded this email to spoof review of Paypal and apparently, it is a legitimate email. I have no idea how the hacker managed to get into my email if that's the case, as my laptop is always with me and is secured with a password. I am also not one to randomly click on unknown links. 

Edited by swtangel, 15 August 2013 - 11:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Since it looks like a serious issue....

Please follow the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE. Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 swtangel

swtangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi Broni. I've already completed the prep guide and have also posted the logs on the proper thread. Thanks

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

thumbsup-thumbs-up-approve-ok-smiley-emo

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users