Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Hosed. Possible Infection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 neal72

neal72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

My Win 7 machine was recently infected with malware that was hijacking web pages and replacing random phrases with coupon drop down links and generating various pop-ups.  I thought I had removed it but upon rebooting yesterday I had lost networking connectivity.  I have determined that DHCP is failing. Also, when I set a static IP, HTTP connections fail.  I.e., although I can ping Internet sites by IP (e.g.  74.125.225.179) I cannot browse to them by IP using chrome or IE (Chrome reports ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED and IE says "Page can't be displayed")

I had already determined that part of the problem is Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock (Afd.sys) is not starting, which then blocks DNS from starting since it is a dependancy.  

Apparently Afd corruption is a known malware symptomhttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/475045/afd-ancillary-function-driver-related-issue/

I tried to repair Afd as per http://batcmd.com/windows/7/services/afd/ but upon rebooting I still get the following errors in the system event log.

The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error: 
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

The Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.​

Help me please!

Edited by neal72, 15 August 2013 - 08:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 neal72

neal72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

BTW, msinfo32 lists afd as follows:

started=no, start mode=system, state=stopped, status=ok, error control=normal, accept pause=no, accept stop=no

Any idea how to make it start?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users