Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The graphic driver I installed is not what's in my computer? O.O

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chriscwirla

chriscwirla

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

I believe I do not have the proper graphic driver installed on my labtop or software required to run my graphic video card smoothly on my labtop.  I feel this way because I was prompted to update the video card when I first got it and attempted to do it all on my own without no professional help.  My attempts lead me into downloading several different video drivers, uninstalling video drivers, and re-installing some more.  Recently, I tried to re-update my video driver and now I am having a pop-up message every time I log in that states "Catalyst Control Center Monitoring Program has stopped working".  My video games seem to run sloppy too so I give up.  :smilers:  I NEED HELP!!  :smilers:  I need to get my video card driver installed and reflect what is actually built into my labtop.  I have tried following HP main help site to fix it but I know i'm not doing it right - I need better step-by-step instructions and possibly a "dumb-friendly" version.

The model labtop I have is as followed: dv6-3227cl     

This model supposedly has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics built in.  When I perform dxdiag on my labtop though, it is stating that I have AMD M880G with ATI mobility Radeon HD 4250 instead of what the labtop actually is suppose to have built in.  And, I think that it is stating being a different video card because I know I downloaded and uninstalled wrong video card drivers trying to update the video card driver!.. I also have AMD catalyst Install Manager which I don't know is the appropriate software for my graphic driver..  

Is there hope?  I'd greatly appreciate any assistance someone could give me. :(  

Thank you,

Chris
:halloween:  :halloween:  :halloween: :halloween:       

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

can you get into your BIOS?  If so, what are the display parameters and settings? Does it state the graphics hardware there?  You may need to uninstall anything other than what BIOS is stating. I didn't know about laptops having discreet and dedicated graphics hardware, not enough space physically.  Although, you can definitely get the users guide at the HP support site here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4308482

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 chriscwirla

chriscwirla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

Synergy513,

Thank you for trying to help but I need you to be more specific/dumb-friendly with me.  I went to the BIOS settings when I restarted my computer and it was just showing my processor speed and different numbers related to my computer.  There was nothing that said "display parameters" or similar talking about the graphics driver/chip I have in my labtop - could you be more specific as to what it is I should be seeing?  I also did not see any option to uninstall what was in the BIOS settings screen nor would I feel comfortable identifying and uninstalling  what I should and should not be by myself.  What I do know is that I only messed with the graphics driver when installing and uninstalling drivers on my computer though - so is there a specific cluster, place, or section in my computer I can go for that?  I appreciate the link for the "catch-all" users guide on how to trouble shoot certain problems too.  I have this pamphlet at home though and its not making much sense to me.  What I need is help by someone who is familiar with these issues and has experience installing/uninstalling graphics drivers on labtops.  Even more so, I need help determining what graphic driver I need to download that was built in this computer.  As mentioned in the earlier post, I posted  already what graphic driver was in my computer that I need to download. 

Sincerely,
Lost and hopeless

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

ok, lets try device manager

start--------->control panel------->performance and maintenance------->system---->hardware---------->device manager

Now look for display aapter    what is it that you see?

#5 chriscwirla

chriscwirla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

I see in my display adapter:

AMD M880G with Mobility Radeon HD 4250

Thank you for not giving up on me!! :(

Chris

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

is there a yellow triangle beside it?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

This model supposedly has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics built in.  When I perform dxdiag on my labtop though, it is stating that I have AMD M880G with ATI mobility Radeon HD 4250 instead

I think we do need to ask a couple of questions - what is the discrepancy you are concerned about? The laptop has M880G chipset and HD 4250 graphics, which you're stating is the driver installed.

Where have the various drivers you've installed been coming from? HP provides only one driver for the system:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4308482#N258

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 chriscwirla

chriscwirla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Synergy513,
No there is not a yellow triangle by the driver.

Platypus,
First, thank you for helping me too! The discrepancy I am concerned about is the "AMD M880G with" ATI mobility Radeon HD 4250 versus just only ATI mobility Radeon HD 4250 .  There should not be an AMD M880G included in the definition of my graphics, right? I was getting the driver from google searches initially. :(  The AMD catalyst control center is popping up with a weird message everytime I start up the computer too.  Could I do a clean sweep on the graphics driver and re-install the graphics driver from the link you listed with some directions on how to properly do it from you please?  :bubbles:  :bubbles:  And maybe re-install the catalyst control center too since its acting funny on startup? :bounce:  I don't even see it in the hidden icon section anymore on the bottom right of the screen for the catalyst control center. 

I really appreciate it!

Thank you,
Chris

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

this is certainly different.  one thing i want you to understand, is that you very well may need OLDER drivers. The newest and greatest that you are finding on the net may or may not be backwards compatible with older hardware editions. I know it is weird, but it happens a small percentage of the time. Users think they have to have the latest and greatest drivers , but their hardware isn't so great.  it is kind of funny, I see users state "don't install those OLD drivers from the disk, go straight to the net and get the best from the publisher site" and then they can't figure it out when they can't get their components in harmony.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Your laptop being an AMD M880G platform with 4250 graphics, it's not unexpected that a driver may identify itself in that way, especially if it is a more generic driver than one specifically developed for the laptop. However, laptops are more likely to require a special driver designed for them - as synergy commented, everything can just work more harmoniously that way.

When you installed different drivers, did you uninstall the previous drivers first, or just update to the newer ones? If you just continued updating, there may not be a clear path to reverting previous installations. If you check the list for Uninstall or change a program in Control Panel, how many listings are there for any video driver installations?

One approach for clearing out mangled driver installations is to enter Safe Mode (tap F8 at boot up if not familiar with Safe Mode) and look in Device Manager where any phantom remnants of previous installations will be shown and can be deleted.

Catalyst Control Center is included in the installation package from HP, so if you download it and have it ready to go, that should give you a fresh install of that as well. Before making a major change to your system you may wish to create a Restore Point in case something goes wrong:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/create-a-restore-point

Edited by Platypus, 17 August 2013 - 06:34 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users