Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death on Startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 median

median

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

I am a recording engineer and run a Windows 7 Pro PC (custom built - 16 gig ram)) with Sonar and lots of pro audio software. I recently installed some new software and I am now getting the attached Blue Screen upon startup. Help!

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, with no luck. What is this problem and how can I fix it while still maintaining the use of my software?

Thx all!

Attached Files

"There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way." Buddha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hi

Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Boot the system in to safe mode.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/safe-mode-windows-7.htm

:step2: Create a system information report.

1. Open RUN dialogue by pressing Windows key and R together.

2. Enter Msinfo32 in the RUN dialogue to open Microsoft system information tool.

3. Choose File --> Save and save the report in the name system information.

:step3: Copy and Zip all the files located inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder to a single file. If you encounter a permission error, disable User Account Control and restart the system in to safe mode again.

Please attach the zipped dumps and system information report with the next reply. Alternatively, upload them to a free file hosting site and post the download link.

Example file hosting sites :

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 August 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#3 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hey, thanks for your help on this. Here is a link to the file you requested.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/61bvop2pqtfdczk/SI-Minidump.rar

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Hi

All of the crash dumps you uploaded blames a single driver - M-audio USB MIDI device driver.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff88002c0bea1, fffff8800337e228, fffff8800337da80}

Probably caused by : MAudioMIDISPORT.sys ( MAudioMIDISPORT+bea1 )

Please try the below steps.

:step1: Unplug the M-Audio device from USB and boot the system (normal mode if possible ).

:step2: Open Control Panel --> Programs and uninstall the M-Audio driver and associated softwares. Restart the system when the uninstall finishes.

:step3: Download and install the latest Chipset driver from the below link. This will update the current USB port drivers. Restart the system when prompted.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=20775&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility&lang=eng

:step4: Turn off USB selective suspend by reading the below tutorial.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html      

:step5: Now plug the M-Audio device to a USB 2.0 port. Make sure to not connect to a USB 3.0 port as they are often problematic. Now download and install the latest driver for device from the below link (select your device from the drop down menu ) .

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support&tab=driver

Report how the system works in next reply. If the issue remains, please upload the new dumps which reflect the changes.

#5 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

I did everything mentioned above. Upon restart, the same problem (blue screen) occurred. Here is new dump file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fipx8pv7l0fzh50/SI-Minidump2.rar

Edited by median, 15 August 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#6 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

I looked into some other sites but still can't seem to find the problem. Most documentation I find online is too complicated for me to understand (i.e. programming stuff).

#7 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

If anyone else had any ideas that would be amazing. I would really like to solve this problem today :bananas:

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi

The new crash dump also blames the same driver and it appears that the driver is not updated. It is still dated February 2012.

Loaded symbol image file: MAudioMIDISPORT.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\MAudioMIDISPORT.sys
    Image name: MAudioMIDISPORT.sys
    Timestamp:        Sat Feb 25 07:33:55 2012 (4F48418B)

Please post the exact model number of your M-Audio MIDI device and i will try to get a direct download link for the latest driver.

#9 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

This issue has been resolved (for now). As it turns out, I was using two of these USB MIDI plugs which caused a conflict in memory. Two drivers, of the same kind, were conflicting for the same space in memory - the result was a crash.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi

Thanks for updating. A quick internet search shows, hardware failures are common in M-Audio devices.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=299118

#11 jamadad

jamadad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

First I would ask have you added ram?

If So, I just spent three days discovering that the default ram voltage on a motherboard may cause intermittent freezing/BSODs especially when the ram slots are maxed out. You can run Memtest 86+ for 10 passes without errors. The dump files will show different drivers when the boot error/freeze occurs. When the system does boot without error you can run burn in tests for two days without fail then turn off the system and it will freeze on restart. 

I increased the ram voltage from 1.5 volts to 1.8 volts with all four slots filled and the error never recurred.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users