Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't download anything or start windows security center

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Andhuge

Rich Andhuge

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hi all,

I am running windows 7 HP - 64 bit.  I know I am infected ( or at least pretty darn sure of it).

1) I can't download anything.  Whenever I try a bar comes up at the bottom of the screen showing percentage of download.  When it hits 100% the writing turns red and the message reads "(whatever) contained a virus and was deleted."  I've tried changing the file name before downloading with the same results.

This is the worse thing.  I do not have a current antivirus installed and now cannot download one.  Man I'm stupid........

2) I have a red flag on the pc security issues located on the right side of the task bar.  It says I need to turn on the windows security center service.  Every time I try to turn it on I get the error message "The Windows Security Center service can't be started."  I've read that this can be fixed from the services section but when I go there the Security Center option is missing.

3) When I use google I get redirected to other websites (which I'm sure are leaving more viruses).

I hope all these problems are related.  If not I'd be more then happy to try and fix them one a time. (Operative word in this sentence is try).

Thanks for reading,

Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi Rich Andhuge,

Try this from MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519899

Regards..................

#3 Rich Andhuge

Rich Andhuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hi,

If you read step 2 in the link you sent it says to go to the "Security Center" file in services.

I don't have the security center file - it's missing.

Thanks for trying though,

Rich

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

Sorry 'bout that. For some reason that didn't register :huh: .

You could try running System File Checker by opening an elevated command prompt and typing sfc /scannow then hit enter. It will attempt to repair or replace any missing or corrupt files.

Even though you do not have any security software you could see if you can access MS malicious software removal tool. Just go to start and in the search box type MRT . Then go from there.

If no results I would advise posting in the Am I Infected Forum.

Good Luck

Regards...............................

#5 Rich Andhuge

Rich Andhuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hi again,

Well your last suggestion helped... a lot. I ran the MS removal tool. It did locate and remove some malicious software. I now have the Security Center option in services. I'm working on getting that system up and running normally.

I still can't download anything:

1) I can't download anything.  Whenever I try a bar comes up at the bottom of the screen showing percentage of download.  When it hits 100% the writing turns red and the message reads "(whatever) contained a virus and was deleted."  I've tried changing the file name before downloading with the same results.

Now I have noticed this in the task master.

I have 11 tasks for svchost.exe - which I've read is pretty much normal.  The last task though is svchost.exe*32.  It has very high CPU usage and I've read that it could hide a possible virus/worm/Trojan.  Of the 11 svchost.exe 10 of them are in the system 32 file.  The last one (svchost.exe*32) is in the SysWOW64 file.  When I tried to delete it I got an error message that "you need permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file."  I was wondering if you, or anyone else, might have any information regarding this.

Thanks again.  You've been a tremendous help.

Take care,

Rich

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

There have been known cases where worms and or rootkits have been associated with your particular issue. Since you chose not to install any AV programs I would suspect that the chances of your system being infected are quite high.

I would once again encourage you to post in the Am I Infected forum. There you will find some of the very best Malware Response Team Members.

And please in the future utilize some malware protection programs. There are many free ones available.

Best of Luck

Regards..............................

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,681 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

Most likely you're infected with ZeroAccess rootkit.

NOTE 1. Use another working computer to download necessary tools and USB flash drive to transfer them to bad computer.

NOTE 2. Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer on GOOD computer to protect it from any infected USB device.

Please follow the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE. Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Rich Andhuge

Rich Andhuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hi Broni,

Thank you for the response.  I am not very computer savvy so these next couple of questions may sound pretty stupid.  I will definitely try to follow all of your advice so I hope you too are a patient person.

In NOTE 1. You said to use another working computer to download necessary tools and a USB flash drive to transfer them to bad computer.

I have access to another computer but I am not sure what the necessary tools are.

In NOTE 2. You said to install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer on GOOD computer to protect it from any infected USB device.

I'm guessing the good computer is the same as the bad computer ( in note 1) after the necessary tools are downloaded and installed with a USB flash drive.

I'm also guessing the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6 are to be done after note 2 is performed.

Sorry for all the lame questions but as you can tell I'm probably not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Take care and thanks again,

Rich

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Complete Steps 6-8 of the Prep Guide, as suggested by Broni.  Forget all else previously suggested that does not relate to creating the new topic in the forum containing the Prep Guide.

Once that is done, this topic will be closed to prevent confusion.

Louis

#10 Social Jeevi

Social Jeevi

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

This is a clear case of M++ Rootkit variant.

You can get the details from the link below.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/23000/PD23412/en_US/McAfee%20Labs%20Threat%20Advisory-ZeroAccess.pdf

Regards

Social Jeevi

Follow me on twitter: @socialjeevi

#11 Rich Andhuge

Rich Andhuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the response. 

I cannot download anything to my computer, which includes step 6 of the prep guide.  Do I need a working computer to download steps 6 thru 8 and use a USB flash drive on my computer? 

I sure appreciate every ones help.

Take care,

Rich

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,681 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

Do I need a working computer to download steps 6 thru 8 and use a USB flash drive on my computer?

Yes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#13 Rich Andhuge

Rich Andhuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ok.

I tried downloading the dds tool from a working computer.  The only problem is that it would download (and show the report) from the computer I was using and not download to the usb flash drive.  I said I'm not computer savvy so I'm sure it's something I'm doing.  Hopefully someone can give me step by step instructions on what I need to do. 

Thanks everyone,
Rich

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2013 - 10:32 AM.
Removed subecript accidentally employed - Hamluis.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,681 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Copy DDS from your computer and paste it to your flash drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 Rich Andhuge

Rich Andhuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hi Broni,

It's not my computer I'm using.  The working computer I have access to is my brothers.  Is that the report you want to see?

Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users