Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer one netbook freezing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MES74

MES74

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

I started this Topic in the Malware Forums 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500610/acer-one-netbook-freezing/

My wife's Acer aspire one running XP keeps freezing up after about 10 min of being idle. I cant ascertain if its infected (I think it is) because it freezes if i do a virus or malware scan. any and all help will be appreciated here is the Checkup log; etc. etc. etc

The problem is when I repaired the .Net V4 all I can get when I restart is a Windows Splash screen and can only start it in safe mode (Have tried to restore and nothing works) What do I do??????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Please...complete the topic you have been posting to in MRL, the one you linked above.

Do not initiate any topics in other forums while you are attempting to resolve issues in a malware forum topic.

Once that topic is closed...that will be the time to seek advice regarding then-existing system issues of a non-malware nature.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Louis

Topic reopened.

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2013 - 03:03 PM.
Reopened topic.

#3 MES74

MES74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

You can close this topic I don't seem to be getting any responses.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

How did you repair the net. framework?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MES74

MES74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Sorry its taken a second to reply;

In my MiniToolBox log post (Here) there were errors in the .net instillation and in the next post he referred me to this page

I followed the directions but couldn't get method 1 to open so I did method 2 and when I reset the computer All i get is the Windows splash screen and it wont actually start. so I reset with the power button and can start it in Safe mode. I have tried to repair it since and cant do it??? Please help

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Since you can boot into Safe Mode lets try doing a Clean Boot.  If the problem doesn't reoccur after rebooting when the instructions suggest you to then continue with the instructions.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

(1)  Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

msconfig2_zps2e854ee3.png

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

Cleanboot_zps3b042516.png

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Restart

Caution:  By disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

cleanboot16_zps67072642.png

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

To make this process quicker the Services or Startup items will initially be devided in half by adding check marks to one half of the Services and restarting the computer to see if the problem resumes.  If the problem isn't found in that half, the check marks will be removed and the other half of the boxes will be checked and the computer restarted again.  If the problem is found in one of these halves, that half will have the check marks removed one at a time until the Service or Startup item is found.  This process will begin with Services, if no porblem is found there the process will be continued in Startup

*  If the problem does not continue after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

If the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found, run the System Configuration Utility, then click on the check box to clear the item.

To open the System Configuration Utility:

(1) Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png.

(2)  Click on Control Panel

(3)  Click on Administrative Tools.  

(4)  Double click on System Configuration.

If the Service or Startup item is identified please include it in your next post. 

When you are finished, click on the General tab in System Configuration, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 MES74

MES74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

Will do, I'll do it when I get home.

#8 MES74

MES74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

Ok, tried it, unchecked everything and still only got the windows splash scren??

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Try doing a System Restore in Safe Mode, choose a date prior to this problem.

#10 MES74

MES74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

I did that all ready but I think there is another date that is even earlier than the date I restored. I'll check it out when I go home.

#11 MES74

MES74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

I went back to the earliest point I could find July 18th before I did the .net fix and still the same issue I get the windows splash screen and it won't move past that???

#12 MES74

MES74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

Ok so Im trying to repair/reinstall the windows XP. This Netbook doesn't have a CD drive so I am trying to use winnt32.exe in the i386 folder and it says "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this instlation" ????? any thoughts as to why (ohh yes I am logged in as the Admin) 

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

Sure...you cannot do any kind of install from within a working Windows partition.  A repair install replaces the old system files with new ones...that cannot happen if Windows is open.

I'm curious as to exactly what you are doing...when you try to reinstall/repair from the i386 folder.  What steps are you taking?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users