Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic driver crashing when playing WoW or watching videos at full screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dairtudreem

dairtudreem

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Here are my specs.

i5-2500k, 3.30 ghz

geforce gtx 570

windows 7 - 64 bit

the message i get is something along the lines of nvidia graphics mode kernal driver has crashed but recoved. my screen will go a random color, blue, green, purple, pink.. yellow... flash and this error will pop up. my computer keeps cycling through this process until eventually the screen goes black and I have to hard reset. i've tried reinstalling drivers, clean installs, messing with my WoW settings and nothing fixes it. I posted on the WoW forums about a year ago when this first started happening and many other people had/have the same problem. blizzard was no help. my husband has the same computer as me and his is fine... which really has me confused. I can watch videos so long as I don't go full screen. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is a thermal problem of some sort. These cards can get seriously hot when playing graphics intensive games.

I would suggest that you take the card out and give it a good clean - a soft brush and a can of compressed air are favoured tools. Make sure the fan is clean and the surface of the heatsink, as far as you can get at it. Then have a look to see if there are any obstructions to the air flow around the graphics card - mis-routed cables, or another card mounted too close. If you do find an accumulation of dust and muck on the graphics card, it can do no harm to extend the treatment to the rest of the computer.

It might also be worth googling for a small temperature indcating application. The maximum temperature for your card when working hard should not exceed about 80C, and never exceed 85C, and they are designed to shut down if they get too hot.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users