Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wow - Huge Lag

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jay56

Jay56

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

World of Warcraft Post - Didnt say in Topic sorry

(Moderator edit: added WOW to topic description. jgweed)

I'm not to technical but heres some info from EVEREST

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600
4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 (128 MB)
Intel Pentium 4, 2266 MHz (17 x 133)

yeah, and when running WoW i get some very huge lag, my game usually runs at .01-10fps, and usually only at that. I have the video options to the very lowest setting possible, and i still get this HUGE lag. I have only Avast firewall running in the backround atm and thats usually it.

(I was stuck on a Zeppelin zoning from Org to Grom'grol for 40 mins b4 it left me off - Only understood by players) And it gets really annoying

There something I'm missing thats doing this? I believe i have my driver installed, it has that little Eye icon on my toolbar (Nvidia settings) and DirectX. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jgweed, 22 April 2006 - 11:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:49 AM

To me, I think part of it could be your computer specs. a 2.2 ghz processor and Gforce 4 is what I saw.

Min specs,

Windows® System/OS (ME, 2000, XP):

* Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon 800 Mhz or higher CPU
* 512 Megabytes (MB) or more of RAM
* 32MB 3D Graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting (such as an Nvidia GeForce 2 class or better)
* 6 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space
* 4x CD-ROM drive
* DirectX® 9.0c (included with game) and latest video card drivers

Specs page can be found here, http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww0823p.

I think it could be that while you may have above minimum specs, but thats probably only for the graphics. Considering that the game is a MMORPG, the mass amounts of other players might be slowing you down as well.

However, another part of the problem could be are you running something else while you play? Is your internet not a 56k? Also, while you may have above Min specs, you'd need at least the Recommended to play decently. I am going to lean on more that you'll need at least a DX8 video card. In which the recommended specs suggest.

Lastly, this link is from tech support from Blizzard's website, this should have some steps you could try to improve the gameplay any.

http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww0791p

Hope I was helpful,
Wizdabest

Edited by Wizdabest, 22 April 2006 - 10:51 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:13 AM

Do you get constant lag on WOW, or just at certain times of the day, or just doing certain things? From my limited hardware knowledge,especially about graphics cards, your specs seem well above the minimum. While I have no problems with zoning (' though the flight can be choppy at times on dial-up) I do seem to have higher lag in large cities or in raids. And of course, on weekends, when there are 259 players ahead of me waiting to get on the server.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Jay56

Jay56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

im running on Cable, Comcast. And usually i lag alot anywhere, but yeah sometimes i dont to badly outside the major cities. I was lagging quite bad in MC last night possibly because theres 40 people moving and casting at the same time. Luckily that isnt my only comp, im on my better one atm. Think ill just have to go on this one to MC tonight. I didnt use this one cause it had Spywarequake, but i got rid of it thanks to this site.

Edited by Jay56, 22 April 2006 - 02:04 PM.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

Got a lot of add-ons? They might cause conflicts which then cause lag.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Jay56

Jay56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

Actually i have quite a few addons, guess ill go test and see what its like w/o them. Its mostly CT_raid and some UI addons but i also have others that are pretty big, i guess those might cause a bit of lag.

Edited by Jay56, 22 April 2006 - 03:04 PM.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

Yeah try to take out the addons and you might want to think about the adding a new video card if you can...

Now note that what is written on the box is MINIMUM system requirements. I have finnaly ended pretty much all my lag now.

I am running a 3.0 GHz P4 processor and before I only had 512 Mb of RAM and lagged alot now I got 1Gig and the computer works nice. I got an AGP ATI Radeon 9600 Pro for my graphics (nice 3D card for AGP slots) and have cable.

This system doesn't lag only a tiny bit in major cities. If you wanted to play WoW without ANY lag you would have to invest about 20 000$ into your machine and try to convince Blizzard to give you a direct line to there server...

#8 Jay56

Jay56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

well i did get rid of quite a bit of addons and i still get major lag in cities but less lag outside, what i find odd is outside cities i dont lag unless i go through a city then back to the outside, i get bad lag until i restart WoW

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

Not precisely to the point, but I thought this would be a good place to link to an article at CNet about some of WOW's woes about server problems:

http://news.com.com/World+of+Warcraft+batt..._3-6063990.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

It sounds like it is your computer I use to get major lag in cities before I upgraded to 1 gig of ram.

512MB of RAM is pretty cheap I got mine at a computer store for 60$CAD

Edited by Klinkaroo, 25 April 2006 - 11:02 AM.

#11 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:29 PM

I bought more 512 mb more ram for about 50 bucks us just in case you dont live in Canada /;..;\
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#12 Jay56

Jay56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

Sorry late responce. So upgrading my ram would diminish lag?

#13 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

Yeah... Not saying eliminate here... but wouldn't hurt

#14 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

Your video card is simply not upto par with the minumum specs. Trust me on that one. Instead of getting more RAM, it's better to spend it on a better video card. But, who's stopping you from getting more RAM?

What I'd suggest id to buy a video card, then if it helps a bit. Then, invest in more RAM. I know lots of people comlaining that they can't WoW with on-board graphics. Gee, I wonder why.

Hope this helps

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#15 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

Sorry hadn't noticed the onboard graphics...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users